Automations fail to load in 2022.3

All my automations work fine in 2022.2.9 and prior however updating to 2022.3 or 2022.3.1 causes the automations to fail to load. I have pasted the log below. Appreciate any help troubleshooting this.

2022-03-04 08:51:46 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Unknown error calling automation config validator

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config.py", line 819, in async_process_component_config

return await config_validator.async_validate_config( # type: ignore[no-any-return]

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/automation/config.py", line 126, in async_validate_config

await asyncio.gather(

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/automation/config.py", line 103, in _try_async_validate_config_item

config = await async_validate_config_item(hass, config, full_config)

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/automation/config.py", line 83, in async_validate_config_item

config[CONF_ACTION] = await script.async_validate_actions_config(

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 233, in async_validate_actions_config
return await asyncio.gather(

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 284, in async_validate_action_config

choose_conf[CONF_SEQUENCE] = await async_validate_actions_config(

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 233, in async_validate_actions_config

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 260, in async_validate_action_config

conditions = await condition.async_validate_conditions_config(

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/condition.py", line 947, in async_validate_conditions_config

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/condition.py", line 931, in async_validate_condition_config

return await device_condition.async_validate_condition_config(hass, config)

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/device_automation/condition.py", line 51, in async_validate_condition_config

return await platform.async_validate_condition_config(hass, config)

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zwave_js/device_condition.py", line 117, in async_validate_condition_config

node = async_get_node_from_device_id(hass, config[CONF_DEVICE_ID])

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zwave_js/helpers.py", line 153, in async_get_node_from_device_id

if node_id is None or node_id not in client.driver.controller.nodes:

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'controller'

2022-03-04 08:51:46 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for automation: Invalid config.

Random thought: Did you update ZwaveJs as required in the release notes?

My ZWaveJS version is 1.15 and ZWaveJS2MQTT is 0.35.2 so I think everything should be up to date.

Reading through the full changelog, it appears that significant changes have been made to ZWaveJS automation parameters and event listening. I will probably have to edit the ZWave automations so that they follow the new guidelines and not result in an invalid configuration in pre-2022.3 setups.

I was able to resolve the problem by deleting some disabled, in-progress ZWave automations that look for changes in certain ZWave parameters. Not sure why in 2022.3 that throws an invalid config error, but at least it’s now resolved and doesn’t disable automations completely!