Automations not running

Before I completely set all automations to run, I started testing one: specifically turning my office light on and off. It is not working. I have sat in front of the computer using the light I want to automate but it is not working. I set up a helper which points to today 8/10/22 and I had to change the time a few times to get it to work but to no avail.
This is what I am reading:
Executed: August 10, 2022 at 11:31:27 AM
Result:

params:
  domain: light
  service: turn_off
  service_data: {}
  target:
    device_id:
      - 15e189e9db169c4b4aba8fbc8bf7f16f
running_script: false
limit: 10

and this is the automation config.

id: '1660141524346'
alias: test-light-out-with-timer
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: time
    at: input_datetime.1_test_light_out_time
condition: []
action:
  - service: light.turn_off
    data: {}
    target:
      device_id: 15e189e9db169c4b4aba8fbc8bf7f16f

I am new at creating automatons s any help will be greatly appreciated. Looking at info does not yield any more info on what I am doing wrong.

Maybe I don’t understand what you’re trying to do, but according to the automatic, you’re just trying to turn off the lights with a timer. What is the automation logic (what should it do)?

Was this the time you set in your date time helper?

I see nothing wrong with the automation initially.
So is your date time helper set correctly and can you use developer tools / services to confirm the system is capable of actually turning the light on and off?

I don’t use the UI but I don’t think you can use a device_id in the light.turn_off service:

action:
  - service: light.turn_off
    data: {}
    target:
      device_id: 15e189e9db169c4b4aba8fbc8bf7f16f

use the entity_id of the light instead.

1 Like

You are of course right to say use entity_id, but just for clarity, you can use device_id with ‘light.turn_*’ service, it works fine.

1 Like

It’s not mentioned in the docs as an option. only entity_id.