Averaging three temperature sensors is unsuccessful due to improper indentation

I’m feeling like an idiot because I can’t figure it out but I am quite sure that this is all about an indentation issue…

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors: 
      - name: "Outside temperature"
        unit_of_measurement: "°C"
        state: >
          {% set livingroom_outside = states('sensor.ac_livingroom_outside_temperature') | float %}
          {% set kitchen_outside = states('sensor.ac_kitchen_outside_temperature') | float %} 
          {% set bedroom_outside = states('sensor.ac_bedroom_outside_temperature') | float %}
          {{ ((livingroom_outside+kitchen_outside+livingroom_outside) / 3) | round(1, default=0) }}

Here is one way to do it. Create a sensor

sensor:
  - platform: min_max
    name: "Upstairs Average Temperature"
    type: mean
    round_digits: 1
    entity_ids:
      - sensor.flood_sensor_air_temperature_2
      - sensor.owner_bath_toilet_leak_sensor_air_temperature_2
      - sensor.flood_sensor_air_temperature_2_2
      - sensor.upstairs_temperature
      - sensor.wbath_leaksensor_air_temperature_2

All the documentation for this is here:

or I think you are using the old syntax.

template:
  - sensor:
      - name: "Average temperature"
          {% set bedroom = states('sensor.bedroom_temperature') | float %}
          {% set kitchen = states('sensor.kitchen_temperature') | float %}

{{ ((bedroom + kitchen) / 2) | round(1, default=0) }}

@AllHailJ thank you so much for the new solution. I had indeed tried to start from the documentation. Could you please tell me, for the purpose of learning, what did I do wrong in my previous code?

Many thanks again,
Giovanni

try using

template:
  - sensor
      - name: "Outside temperature"
          {% set livingroom_outside = states('sensor.ac_livingroom_outside_temperature') | float %}
          {% set kitchen_outside = states('sensor.ac_kitchen_outside_temperature') | float %} 
          {% set bedroom_outside = states('sensor.ac_bedroom_outside_temperature') | float %}
          {{ ((livingroom_outside+kitchen_outside+bedroom_outside) / 3) | round(1, default=0) }}

You also had livingroom twice in the average.

So it doesn’t go into the - sensor section of configuration.yaml?

See here

I believe this is the new recommended way. It can if you want to use the min max platform

I use the min_max integration because to me it is simpler. It takes care of all the details and I just list the entities. It can also do Min, Max and Median.

1 Like