Avoid IKEA smart light products!

Just heads up here if you are planning to buy some Ikea smart lights. Encountering it myself and doing research into this issue it seems like Ikea lights will by default give you a massive headache when you try to integrate them into your smart home system.
The main issue is that they are unable to change brightness and color at the same time. So when your automation issues a basic command of changing the brightness and color, the light will do only one, ignoring the other. I’ve been having issues with separating both commands as well but I haven’t done much testing yet.
This doesn’t seem to be a bug but rather a feature, probably some cost saving measure. From what I could found it has been like that since 2018 and has not been fixed in any of the newest products.

1 Like

Hi,
It would help the community considerably if you were more specific:

• Which IKEA product exactly?
  • Which protocol (likely Zigbgee)?
  • Which HASS integration? (ZHA / Z2MQTT / other)?

Some Zigbee products require “quirks” files to make the device work despite incorrect or incomplete interface definitions in the device itself. Logging the manufacturer and device ID with the undesired behaviour can get the behaviour fixed - something that FOSS does very well.

Here’s an example of ZHA patching around a bad light with a quirk:

James

Never bothered me, but it obviously bothers you.

Hey, here are the details

• It seems like all the smart light products by IKEA are affected. I have two Tradfri bulbs and ORMANÄS lightstrip. I’ve observe this behavior in all the products.
  • The protocol is Zigbee
  • I am currently using ZHA however I’ve been observing this issue before HA when I was adding the bulbs through my Hue Hub.

Here are some other observations of the issue I could found:

Thank you for the link to quirks, I will look into them later.

if you want more:

Found some workaround, going to test it in the evening but it is far from perfect: Setting color temperature and brightness of IKEA Tradfri lights simultaneously with Home Assistant | Wouter Bulten