Axis camera component

are you by any chance running Axis Companion line of cameras?

Don’t think so. I have the M1054

@Robban hi again.

I have a p1435 with v9.xx firmware. I have the LPR licence on this. Is there a way to receive notifications when a licence plate is detected and also receive the plate info and possibly a snapshot.

I have it setup on my ACS Server and overlay settings on the LPR. Presumably I just need an event to create a binary sensor or similar. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Absolutely, if it reports events then it is possible.

I am planning on starting work on the Axis integration again after summer so if we can prepare the relevant data it will be easy to do.

Preferably we do this in a GitHub issue on the axis repository https://github.com/Kane610/axis/

Hello all! I’m working on a presentation about the Axis integration and would like to know (since Axis typically is for companies) how you guys have gotten your devices and your relationship to Axis. How are you using the devices in home assistant?

Cheers!

Hi @Robban

I am an Axis Gold Partner. Gives me access to any Axis product and decent prices. Also get Not For Resale pricing for testing/demonstration/VAPIX support either from the tech guys in the UK and have some direct contacts in Sweden.

Not sure if you’re in the UK, but can assist if you need anything.

Cheers

1 Like

Your devices you run in home assistant are they new or are they decommissioned devices from installed sites?

I have a hypothesis that open source work can help prolong the usefulness of devices after support has ended :slight_smile:

I have a mixture of both on my home

P1435-le with ANPR licence (this needs integrating please :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
A9161 IO modules (work well with the integration)
M2026-LE
M3115-LVE
M3116-LVE
Q6115-LE outdoor PtZ
Q7401 - old encoder for spy cam in front door
M5054-E indoor ptz (used for baby cam)

Some new some reutilised.

Also got a few others on ONVIF
Honeywell, 360Vision and Hikvision.

I run NXWitness for the NVR and also Axis Camera Station

1 Like

Thank you! <3

edit

Oh right, the features! So right now I’m refactoring the UniFi integration, once I’m done with that I plan to revisit the Axis integration reworking it for better scalability and extending features. I think I will be complete with UniFi before the end of the year, but I’ve been wrong before :slight_smile:

I think I started using Axis when I wanted a good wifi camera to observe my pets. This was I guess around 14 years ago. Back then, there was not a lot of choice for wifi cameras that allowed recording and good streaming options. The camera was so nice that I since then always just bought axis cameras because they work cloud-less, are rock solid and provide software/security updates for many years.
I also used the cameras to observe my children while they were babies during the night or recording the children birthday as picture show (every 30 second). Later on I used one to record the construction of our house from the other side of the street. And now i am primarily using the cameras as security around the house or in the vacation house to check if there is already snow :wink: i record movement to a Synology NAS and have the camera feeds in HomeAssistant.
I am a private customer and buy them via resellers in Switzerland for a fair bit of money.
I have a mix of cameras:
M1031, M1065, M2026-le, 4xM2026-le MK II and I am about to buy M2036-le soon.

1 Like

I am in the process of a complete reinstall and reprogramming of my Home Assistant Server.
I had a operating system configuration ( 4-5 years old) that after a year of warnings decided to bite the bullet and get this done.
I use a 3 Q7436 blade server so have 18 cameras and a P7214 video server with 4 cameras. I am wondering if I have something not configured correctly. I have all the cameras discovered and showing in Home Assistant but if I reboot or restart it takes a very very long time for the cameras to show again. Like 30-50 minutes. I am running a dedicated Home Assistant I7 computer with 1 TB SSD HD and 32GB of memory. The system is not taxed a bit. I should note that I had this issue with the old configuration also.
On a side note I also have a few cameras on a Unifi UDMPRO that have integrated without issue with Home Assistant… Thank you Robban for all your hard work.

1hr later
Sorry, found the issue. It was the Network ZeroConf setting. I had this set in all instances years ago but had a house electrical issue from the street power that blew up our LG washer that required me to replace the control board and rotation sensor. This also caused 2 of the three blades to not allow any logins for their 6 camera inputs respectively. I did a factory reset on all three blades and reconfigured them. But forgot the Network ZeroConf setting. At 73 memory can be an issue now and then… :wink:

1 Like

I think you are the biggest user of the Axis integration with that setup :grin:

Would be happy to help with any testing as needed.
Thanks again for you work with this Axis integration and for the Unifi integration.

1 Like

Thank you for using it.

I’ve started some refactoring of the Axis integration inspired by changes to the UniFi integration which will help scale the implementation in the future.

Hello all!

With my other integrations I have provided release notes since some time back and as I get back to working on the Axis integration I also want to do the same here.

Here are the changes coming with Home Assistant 2023.2.0

As I’ve spent most of the last 14 months reworking the fundamentals in other integrations I’ve also gotten inspiration for improving the Axis integration as it is with architectural decisions over time they might lead into a corner. And as I try to keep the architecture similar between my libraries and integrations they typically suffer of the same flaws. So is the case with the Axis integration. As I strive to follow most best practices in Home Assistant and type hinting in Python becomes more prevalent it became obvious that providing strict typing was really hard leading me having to take the hammer to certain structures and rework classes to fit into a more snug form that can scale better over time. Fortunately the Axis integration is quite small so will be quite a bit quicker from Home Assistant side of things as there won’t be that many reviews depending on other busy core developers.

With this release I mainly focused on improving the event management from the RTSP stream, trying to break apart the old truths that lead to some bad decisions over time. So if something was working before 2023.2.0 (but not after) create an issue on Home Assistant GitHub.

I’ve gotten requests to buy me a coffee, I’m on Github Sponsors if you appreciate my work.

Cheers!

/Robban

For feature requests of the integration post an issue at Axis github

Hello! I’m try to connect AXIS P8221. But I can’t see entities for this device. It’s normal?

In Logs Details I see this WARNING:

Hello!

I would guess it’s because the APIs and events are different. I haven’t used devices with that old firmware and have noted in the integration documentation that event support is from 5.50.

Its probably not impossible to support it but I don’t know what is different on that device compared to devices with 5.50 and newer.

Unfortunately, this is a old device but pretty reliable and I think it will not receive a firmware update. This version 5.10.6 is latest update from 2021. API available on AXIS site, but I don’t understand what do next. Also available to control device via URL HTTP request but I don’t know how realise that with HA.
Also I have AXIS Q7401 with fw 5.51.7.6 and this device have 4 output but entities for control is not available. Possible to add this entities to control output?

It’s definitely possible, I have a lot of things on my todo list and this would be quite low on that.