Axis camera component

I have a few questions regarding the display of the stream:
In very old HA instances, when you clicked on one of the camera images you got (probably an jpeg)? updated every 1-2 seconds.
Now since I reinstalled HA from scratch, when I click on a camera image, I get a player that takes about 15 seconds to load and then a “real-time” video. I have two issues:

1. When I open the video, the image (“thumbnail”) shows a broken image until about 2 minutes after I close the stream. Is this because of the limited parallel streams of the axis cameras? Is there any way to make this better or get the image back earlier?
  2. I kind of liked the large image better in some cirumstances. Because it popped up immediately if I wanted to see something big. Is there a way to get that behavior back? Or even choose between those two?

There hasn’t been any changes for some time so there shouldn’t be any behavioural changes AFAIK. Maybe default parameters are changed and you need to change your configuration?

@Robban I have 5 Axis cameras, 3 old P5512-E PTZ with firmware 5.51.7.6 (latest for these cameras), an M3104-LVE with firmware 9.80.22 and an M5525-E PTZ with firmware 8.40.15. The configuration works well into HASS, but the streams are quite slow to load, I’m not sure whether it’s possible to load them faster? But my question is whether it is possible to use the PTZ commands?, I haven’t seen them into the services tab? I’m new into HASS, so I don’t have much experience and I might have missed something… Many thanks!

PD: the first camera “configure” button works well, as you can see below:

But the other 4 cameras show the same error when clicking the “configure” button:
“Config flow could not be loaded: 500 Internal Server Error Server got itself in trouble”

@Robban I had to put the screen capture into another message, only one image is allowed…

Many thanks!

Hi, is there an option to get this working in any way? latest FW is 5.10.6 on their site…

You could use the onvif integration as an alternative. You should be able to configure onvif media profiles and users within the camera.

I find the onvif integration works better when the camera time and HA server time are synced to the same ntp time server.

Also by using onvif you can configure the stream to use as a low resolution to give HA a chance of smooth live video streams and then use the native streams for your recording platform.

@Robban I am new into HASS and I have made several tests with my 5 Axis cameras and with your integration as well as with the ONVIF they are slow. The fastest video results from MJPEG video, which I tested with the “MJPEG IP Camera” integration. All my cameras support PTZ commands, so my question is, how can I use these with the PTZ caneras?, and, if possible, with the “/axis-cgi/com/ptz.cgi” commands?, which get immediate movements on the cameras. Does your Axis integration support MJPEG video? Can it be configured? How do you use/integrate PTZ commands? Thank you very much!

I’m not sure either, haven’t done anything on the stream side of things for some time

Its on my ever growing todo list :slight_smile: , note that I would have to implement PTZ support in Home Assistant first as that does currently not exist.

Which camera configure works well and which doesn’t?

All image requesting is done directly by home assistant so the only thing the integration does is pass along an URL, I think Mjpeg is one of those URLs

As you can see in the picture, the camera that the configure button works is the M3104-LVE, for the other 4 cameras an error is generated when trying to configure them, the models are M5525-E and P5512-E

I have tried the ONVIF integration and the PTZ commands work well, although quite slow… I have tried to use the MJPEG IP Camera integration and it is much faster than the others. One uggly possibility which works, to implement the PTZ commands would be to use ONVIF for the commands and MJPEG for the display…

I have made an Axis plugin for another app with all the commands and I’m willing to implement these for HA, but I have no idea about how to start? Could you give me a hint? Many thanks!

Is there an error message in the logs? Can you enable debug and share logs in PM?

I haven’t looked at how Onvif does PTZ commands, I guess some buttons or a service?

I’ve implemented support for PTZ controls in the Axis library axis/ptz.py at 671a99966fa003149972029e640c0110a24228de · Kane610/axis · GitHub

I have plans to refactor most of the library thus being reluctant myself to expand on it prior. But I won’t stop you if you want to try it.

First you need to get a dev env of hass up and running. check developers.home-assistant.io

The error is shown above in the screen capture: “Config flow could not be loaded: 500 Internal Server Error Server got itself in trouble”

When do you think you will be able to implement the commands? I can share with you the plugin I did for “The Home Remote” so as you could use it for HASS? In addition, I implemented an image navigation system, instead of using arrows to pan and tilt, dividing the screen in 9 clickable areas which is quite efficient… Axis IP Camera plugin - Plugins - The Home Remote Community

If you look at the plugin you’ll see all the code, which is not so complicated…

I’m not sure I’ll be bale to develop myself the plugin since I don’t have any experience with HASS and it doesn’t look so easy to setup the development platform…

1 Like

Yes but that error message only says what the problem is related to the config flow.
Not what the problem with the integration is.

Its been on my todo for a long time, but not high up so no time plan for it.

Hello all!

Here are the changes coming with Home Assistant 2023.5.0

No changes with this release, but I’ve been working on the Axis library to add support for PIR sensor configuration API that I think will work great with the new Axis M1075-L camera. Also reworking a couple of other APIs using better technologies. Current change log can be viewed here.

Cheers!

/Robban

For feature requests of the integration post an issue at Axis github

I’m on Github Sponsors if you appreciate my work.

@Robban I managed to install the HASS development environment, it took me a while since I installed in a server container… Could you recommend me how to start? I know it’s a too basic question, sorry, but I need some help…
Many thanks

Have you gotten to the point of running hass from the command line?

I have no idea, I can get to the docker installation via SSH and via VS Code pointing to the right installation, but I’m struggling trying to set the firts addon “hello world”, to understand how it works and its structure, but it seems a little bit confusing… All examples are locally based…

This is the view from VS Code of the Docker container in my server: