Backup : HA-internal or Duplicati or other?... what is the difference?

Hi, I am using a HA docker and until recently I backed up my config folder plus the related mariadb db.
With 2022.4 we now have the option of using HA in-house backup but I cannot find out what it all contains.
For both…without testing it, not sure if a restore would work or to what degree and I do not have the luxury of having comparable hardware standing by for testing such restores.

So, my question: is there a benefit / preference between backing up the persistent volume vs. the HA created backup file?

I personally use duplicacy, it is not free unlike duplicati, but has a very nice interface, works with chuncks instead of full backups and can backup to multiple storages (also cloud) at once.

It can also backup other stuff than just HA, I would highly advise to use it. Otherwise duplicati is also a good one.

1 Like

Duplicati also has a lot of nice stuff too, maybe this is new (to you?) increment, web-iface, etc.
The thing for me is : what is the difference between a flat-file backup like duplicati vs. the backup by HA itself. As mentioned, I donot have the material to test a restore and donot want to find out that it was a poor choice after a crash happens

HI @jimz011

I’m going with Duplicacy for my Unraid server in i would be superhappy if you could tell me how to use Duplicacy for HA.

I run:

Home Assistant 2023.9.2
Supervisor 2023.09.2
Operating System 10.5
Frontend-version: 20230911.0 - latest

DIrectly in a:

intel NUC 13 Pro Tall I7-1360P
Samsung 870 EVO 1000GB 2.5" SATA-600

Please guide me to use Duplicacy in HA

Have a nice day
/Peter (Sweden)