Backup "unknown error see supervisor log"

Hi
i try to backup homeassistant and i catch this msg

“unknown error see supervisor log”

Where are the supervisor log located ?
now my system is in “freeze state”
thx

Same here - but it turns out that the backup actually completes successfully (a good while later) - and during this period it remains in ‘freeze’ mode but it goes away then.

There is nothing in the supervisor logs related to the backup (It just says ‘x backup files found’ as the last message in there).

You can check the logs : Settings → System → Logs and then in the upper right corner, select the subsystem for which you want to review the log.

I have the same problem. But in my case there are no other backups shown in gui.

In the log it is visible that there are probably 2 backups were running at the same time. See the slug values. Look at the log just after you listed the backups. If there is a an error with unexpected end of file, that means the backup probably is still running for that file.

There was recently an issue raised about this on Github, where it was deemed that the browser timeouts on the window, that’s why the error message pops up.

Thanks for the inf. Looking now, there are two backups show, but still backup running I guess?

Probably, have a look at the log and search for slug dd933316 and you should see when you started the backup. The line should tell what kind of backup is it also.

Could you give my a hint where I can look this up?! Could not find this in logs.

Look into the folder where the backup tar files are stored, check that the file with the same name is increasing by size and what date it has. Might be a file which was started before and never finished the backup, because the system has been shut down force fully. Also, how many times have you done backup recently?

1 Like

I started three backups. I can‘t any increasing size on the suspicious job.

I see the date on it from the 24th. Have you restarted since HA or the host computer? Is the status still in freeze?

I guess that it just didn’t finish properly, especially if you restarted since HA or the host. And the system shouldn’t be in freeze state.

I restarted the system (via gui). Error message shows up again. I deleted the file now. Looks good. I will try another backup.

1 Like

Running into the same problem.

Judging by the tar file being moved to .../backups/<slug>.tar, the backup completed. The file hasn’t changed in a number of minutes.

However, still Create Backup yields the error that the system is in the freeze state.

There isn’t anything in .../tmp where in progress backups usually are.

What makes the system think it is in a freeze state, is there some sort of semaphore left around?

What are you backing up? And how big is the docker container or db?

When the db size is bigger than 1GB it will take at least 1 hour to run a backup.