Backups - System and Automations

I have two questions about backups.

Is there a way to download a system backup so I can store it offsite? I can see that you can change the default location but what I am looking for is an ability to download a copy of that file just in case HA on my RPi dies.

Secondly, is there a way to backup automations? Automations become complex with a great deal of work into them. I know I can duplicate them but is there a way to backup particular automations so I can go back to a previous state?

I think the easiest way is to use the Google Drive Backup add-on.

Copying the YAML to a text file before making changes is pretty quick and easy.

There are many ways. See Option 5 here: https://www.home-assistant.io/common-tasks/os#copying-your-backups-to-another-location

Personally I like SAMBA Backup. But you do need a NAS for that.

1 Like

I use Samba Backup with Zero Teir and a QNAP NAS. I have several backups running from remote HA hundreds of miles away. Works fine.

The VS Code Editor supports Git, so when configured you have a history of all configuration file changes including automations. Coupled with a free Azure DevOps account you get history of commits, etc. Easy to roll back changes in code.

I use Google Drive automated backups, and they work AWESOME. Saved my bacon twice in the past 3 weeks.