Backward compatibility to get back to previous UI in 0.86 is Required for a smooth migration

It’s explained in the docs

In the configuration.yaml place this

lovelace:
  mode: yaml

This will mean you cannot change the interface in the web ui.

If you need to do this, what I would suggest is get it working off the ui-lovelace.yaml, then remove the above, restart HA (you’ll have the horrible interface you have now in it), then press the 3 dots on the top right, edit ui, then press it again to go into raw config mode. Then just paste the contents of your ui-lovelace.yaml file in the browser (replacing EVERYTHING that was there). Save and exit, refresh and you will have your config in the web ui.

I have stayed on the ui-lovelace.yaml file as I feel comfortable with it, but each to their own. You will lose any comments in the ui-lovelace.yaml file in the raw editor.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Just put in
‘’‘lovelace:
Mode: yaml
‘’’
In your configuration.yaml file

That’s really helpful. Experience speaks well.
Thanks a ton.
Rajan.

1 Like

This entire conversation sounds like you had an XY problem

Your errors have absolutely nothing to do with Lovelace and you really should have read the breaking changes and fixed your config rather than blaming Lovelace and looking for a way out

1 Like

I did not blame Lovelace for any problem.
I was only simply bringing forward a suggestion that as much as ‘Forward Compatibility’ for Lovelace was provided for over 6 months, a ‘Backward Compatibility’ could have been provided since the Release of 0.86 has forced Lovelace as the default UI.
This was mainly to enable everyone to keep with the upgrades and not fall behind in upgrading due to this limitation.

It has been well understood by others and they have taken the effort to help me overcome this limitation.

Thanks in particular to [markbajaj] who had really understood my concerns and took it in the right perspective and helped me with clear guideline.

Well now you know that there is backward compatibility so your wish was granted before you even asked for it.

Luckily your wishes are not limited to three in number :wink:

This is a good one. I like it and appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi…

I could successfully migrate to Lovelace UI and started liking it.
Thanks to all those who were helpful and in particular to markbajaj, without whose tips and tricks, I would not have made it.

1 Like