Bakup of the whole HA configuration?

Hi there !

I have HA running on a virtual machine on a NAS, and couple of weeks ago after a fisrt installation, My NAS disks crashed and had to reinstall everything …
I have since then reinstalled everything and configured a lot already, and would like to know the best way to take a backup of the configuration … in case a crash happens again and I need to reinstall everything.

What is the Best way to backup my whole config ?

Many Thanks !

What installation method did you use?

2 Likes

Hello Petro, I have installed Virtual machine manager on my NAS, then used the “VMware ESXi/vSphere” .ova file as described here : “Alternative - Home Assistant

Br,

Just make a Open your Home Assistant instance and Backup your Home Assistant installation.

System → Settings → Backup

Thanks a lot Petro … I see this :slight_smile:

That means the whole config is backed already , I see the “core”, but also studio code server as add-on (not sure why this is a separate “backup” ?

So assume my Synology NAS crashes … and I have to reinstall everything …
It will install from scratch but how do I recall my backup as it is not user related right ??

Br,

Just make a whole backup, there’s a button to do that… Look in the lower right corner.

ok, but is that then saved somewhere safe which I can recall in case I need to reinstall my HA ?
Or I am supposed to copy the backup file in a safe place ?

I just did one … see below :slight_smile:

I assume the backup is not saved under my account, as there is no “cloud” which would remain in case my HA crashes and I need to reinstall everything, and I need to download this backup and keep it in safe place, to “restore” later on ?

The backup is stored in the backup folder on your system. You can access the backups via samba share addon. Or you can mount a network drive specifically for backups.

ok … I will check with the samba … but I understand then the backup is stored locally in my HA (in my case running on a virtual machine on a NAS, so if the NAS crashes and I have to reinstall everything, I also loose my backups).

So I better need to make sure backups are done, automatically or manually, and store the backup files in a share place, is this correct ?
Many thanks !

Exactly. Chances are very good that, when you need the backup, the drive it was originally created on won’t be available. That’s also the drive you’ll probably be restoring over, so even if you can access it you’d have to pull the backup off before restoring.

There are very good add-ons to automatically back-up to Google Drive or to another SMB share on your network. Just be aware that whether you kick off the backup manually, or via an add-on, it always creates temporary files on the local drive which are then copied to the .tar backup file which is created on the local drive or network share. This is what the add-ons (or you, manually) copy to the off-line storage. Be sure you can support all that writing before you get too crazy making backups in HA.

Well, this is what happened to me 1 week after my first HA installation, on a virtual machine on a NAS, and having configured some cards already … my NAS crashed the disks were corrupted, so I had to insnstall new disks. I now know I manually need to copy yhr files somewhere in a safe place.

I see there is a way to do a manual backup, but is there as well an automated backup planned I can configure somewhere ?

For the automatic saving of the backup files on a cloud, I ill have a look. I already have something similar with a OneDrive client running on my NAS and computer which automatically saves my files on OneDrive.

Everything in HA is done via automations. So for furture reference, if you ask “Is there an automated way to do xyz” the answer is “yes, with an automation”.

Yes, with an automation.

Use the hassio.backup_full service.

If you mount an external drive (Like a network drive) it will save the backups to that location.