Bargain Sensor - PIR, Temp, Humidity & Light

Hi All

I just wanted to share a little sensor I 3D printed and connected with HA using ESPHome.

The sensor has PIR, Temp, Humidity & Light and works very well. The PIR sensor is much more responsive than I thought it would be. Set up was amazingly easy thanks to ESPHome, here is the cost breakdown below -

Sorry it is in USD but that is AliExpress :smiley: - So Total $8.92

If anyone wants step by step instructions on how to set it up, just let me know but I reckon most can do it pretty easily following the instructions.

3 Likes

Looks good!!!
Could you please upload your stl, or preferably the source file? Thanks!

I couldn’t add the files here so I put them on MyMiniMarket - Also seem to have not saved the F360 File so its just he STLs for now

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-box-to-house-wemos-d1-pir-sensor-dht11-light-sensor-138716

name: orange_box
  platform: ESP8266
  board: d1_mini

wifi:
  ssid: <YOUR SSID>
  password: <YOUR PASSWORD>
  use_address: orange_box.local

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: ...
    password: ...

captive_portal:

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:

ota:

sensor:
  - platform: dht
    pin: D6
    temperature:
      name: "Orange Box Temperature"
    humidity:
      name: "Orange Box Humidity"
    model: DHT11
    update_interval: 60s

- platform: adc
    pin: A0
    name: Illuminance
    unit_of_measurement: lux
    update_interval: 60s
#    filters:
#      - lambda: (x * 3.3 / 10000.0) * 2000000.0

binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    pin: D5
    name: "Orange BoxPIR Sensor"
    device_class: motion

I recommend uploading the first ‘Sketch’ via the https://esphome.io/guides/faq.html#esphome-flasher ESPHome Flasher, it was much simplier and very handy if like many, the RPI is tucked away somewhere.

1 Like

In the original post some instructions are referred to (“most can do it pretty easily following the instructions”). Where can I get the instructions, please?

This looks great! I ended up using an off the shelf enclosure, but landed on something very similar. I now have one of these in every room in my house. Some ive outfitted with a second pir to offer more coverage in my larger rooms as well.

After running battery zwave multisensors for years, I find that these are not only more affordable, but they’re also way more responsive. No more 1-2 second lag.

The software is ESPHome, the wiring can be inferred from the configuration file, since it specifies the connections on the D1 where the components are connected.

You will need the pinout of the D1, or whatever ESP8266 you decide to use, in order to connect them in the correct location, either via soldering, breadboard, or pin/socket

Many thanks. Apologies for being such a noob.

Sorry I haven’t been available to reply. I built these for my new house which I am busy moving into and renovating :grin:. I will try to add more instructions and some other designs I made later on.

Hi. I have never used this board before and I will be hooking up all the devices as stated in op list of parts. I can use either of the input power plugs (mirco usb or the barrel plug) to power the Uno?