Basic Alexa routine not working

Hello everyone!

I’m having an issue with something very basic

I have a simple routine in Alexa which triggers a scene and that scene runs an automation in HA when i say “Alex, i’m taking a bath” or “Alexa, i’m taking a shower”

The problem is when I say that, Alexa replies me with something like “Enjoy your bath” “Take care of you” or anything else funny but doesn’t trigger the scene…

If I insist several times it sometimes activate the scene but it’s random

Is there a workaround for this ?

I’ve tried saying “I’m taking a bath” to my Axexa and it says “Sorry, I don’t know that” - so apparently it’s not one of Amazon’s smartass jokes.

You say the Alexa scene runs a HA automation - what is the automation’s trigger exactly? All my Alexa scenes launch HA scripts.

It changes the colors in blue / gold
then
It deactivates the motion sensor in the bathroom

here is my HA automation :

alias: "SCENE: Bain"
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - scene.bain_douche
condition: []
action:
  - type: turn_off
    device_id: 0b46e8532d4579b21d7860e1469c7374
    entity_id: switch.detecteur_mouvements_sdb_motion
    domain: switch
  - service: scene.turn_on
    target:
      entity_id: scene.salle_de_bain_bleu_dore
    metadata: {}
mode: single

Should I do the same with scripts instead of automation ? What is the difference ?

Sorry i’m pretty new in all of this

An automation has to have a trigger to set it off - the state of a switch, say: start the automation when the switch changes from off to on. A script is just a block of code that is launched by something else.

Alexa routines can be used to launch scripts from voice commands - and confusingly a script is referred to as a scene in the Alexa app.

So you need to write a script, something like:

alexa_bathroom_light_on:
  alias: Alexa bathroom light on
  sequence:
  - service: light.turn_on
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id: light.bathroom
  mode: single

When this is exposed to Alexa and you write your routine in the Alexa app, it will appear in the list of actions under Smart home | Control scene.

You can’t use a HA scene to trigger an automation as you have done, because it doesn’t have a state as such - it’s more of a description of the state of other entities.

Ok thanks for the clarification.

I think I remember now, I wanted to create scripts at first but then I notice I couldn’t add them in the IOS widget (only scenes are visible)

But I didn’t find a way to link scenes with scripts, that’s why I created automations.

Is there a workaround maybe ?

Not familiar with IOS, I’m afraid. Android has a toggle widget which will launch a script (scripts are listed by name in the drop down). The script could turn on the HA scene with scene.turn_on. That way the same effect could be achieved either by voice command or by widget… Have I correctly understood what you’re after?