Basic Web Socket support

Home Assistant should support fetching and writing data to a standard web socket.

Why

MQTT is popular but not ubiquitous. Some devices such as the arduino based wiolink (ES8266) use websockets as a message bus.

node.js and other web frameworks can talk web sockets out of the box. They could extend, integrate with Home Assistant without requireing libraries like MQTT.

How

Example web socket api documentation (wio specific, but principles apply generally)

Python web socket documentation

A python3 web socket library

At the moment we are in the transition to WSGI and websocket support is planned.

1 Like

Hello, i just want ask what is done with websocketsā€¦ Iā€™m interested to add support for ESP8266 like boardā€¦ For now i use mqtt based firmware to interact with homeassistentā€¦ But board comes with easy web based configuration firmware, but work with web socketsā€¦ Board comes with universal UART connector. With this, many possible sensors devices can be attachedā€¦

• Native
  • Button
  • Relay
  • ADC
  • I2C
    • MOD-RGB
    • MOD-TC-MK2-31855
    • MOD-IO2
    • MOD-IRDA+
  • SPI
    • MOD-LED8x8RGB
  • UART
    • MOD-RFID125-BOX
    • Fingerprint

This is full list of modules https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/

They all firmware is Open source and is good, easy and low-cost devices.

All i want is too add support for them for HomeAssistent.
For how i use thirt-party app writen for nodeJS to use this modules on HomeAssistentā€¦
I want Home Assistant to support them native

Websocket support is now available.

1 Like

Is both client-side and server-side supported? It seems like everything I read is primarily server side. Is the distinction important in Websockets?

Hi,
It is possible to get Websocket Sensor/Client ?

1 Like