🚿 Bathroom Humidity Exhaust Fan

the issue your probably facing is due to Aqara sensors do not use the Zigbee standard, so they will not connect to all Zigbee routers, there really picky.

1 Like

I use Z2M, and in my settings I have “Permit Join” enabled. This way, whenever an Aqara device decides to wake up, it can rejoin the Zigbee network. I had problems similar to yours before I enabled this option, but now it all works well.

The only downside I have encountered so far is that I will occasionally have a neighbor’s Philips Hue bulb (or something similar) get randomly added. Since I rename all of my Zigbee devices, the random addition sticks out with its hex name, so I just do a force remove on the device and it’s gone.

In Z2M you can block them so they cannot re-join.

Is there a way to allow a “light.” entity to be the fan? Issue I’m having is that I just got some Kasa Matter switches and they are coming across as “light.” instead of “switch.” and in Matter there’s not currently a way (that I can find) to change this (yet?). Helpers gives me the ability to assign a switch as something else, but not the ability to assign a light as a switch.

@slackcc

Hi Chris, firstly welcome to the community :+1:

I will PM you.

Blacky :smiley:

FAQ - How To Update Blueprint on Home Assistant Version: 2023.12.0 +

Home assistant has added an new feature this month on how we can update our blueprints :partying_face:

If you have imported a blueprint using the import blueprint button you can now easily update them. Below are the steps if you would like to update your blueprint this way.

:warning: From time to time when I update my blueprint there may be a breaking change or something that is required to do. I would strongly recommend that you do a full backup of your Home Assistant before you update any blueprint this way. You can also go onto the post of the blueprint as normally I will notify you of any changes but also note, sometimes I don’t notify you. That is why it is always a good idea to do a full backup of your Home Assistant before updating. This way you can always easily roll back if something goes wrong :wink:

HOW TO UPDATE A BLUEPRINT

1 - First most important, do a full backup of your Home Assistant, and store it in a location where you can get to it if you brick your Home Assistant (on a separate computer not running Home Assistant).

2 - Go into settings / automation & scenes / click on the blueprint tab at the top and then the 3 dots next to the blueprint you would like to update.

3 - A pop up will appear and you will see you have an option to “re-import blueprint”.

When you click on the “re-import blueprint” you will get a confirmation to “re-import”.

:warning: STOP Have you done a full backup If you are happy with everything (again, a backup of HA) then and only then should you click the “re-import” button.

Once you click the “re-import blueprint” button a confirmation message will appear down the bottom.

Your done!! You blueprint is updated :tada:

To check everything was done correctly, go into your automation and or the blueprint, you should see the new version displayed at the top confirming you are on the latest.

If it is greyed out and you can’t select the “re-import blueprint” button then keep following the steps.

4 - At the top of my blueprints there will be a import blueprint button and also a link to my GitHub. If click on the import blueprint and follow the steps and click preview your will see override blueprint. This will confirm that your file path is correct and it will update the blueprint.

:warning: STOP - Have you done a full backup because you get no warning
 it is going to happen if you click the “Override Blueprint” button.

If you are happy with everything (again, a backup of HA) then and only then should you click the “Override Blueprint” button.

You have now updated a blueprint :tada:.

If you click on GitHub link and go to the blueprint you would like to update and copy the URL as shown below.

For this blueprint “Bathroom Humidity Exhaust Fan” the URL is;

https://gist.github.com/Blackshome/8e09a8213b834f1be4ab49ba880abed8

Each blueprint will have it’s own URL, so it is important that you copy the correct one you would like to update.

5 - Under the blueprint tab click on “Import Blueprint”. A pop up will appear.

In the blueprint address paste the URL of the blueprint you would like to update and click preview.

The blueprint will be displayed and if you have installed the blueprint into the correct file location you will see a “Cancel” and an “Override Blueprint” button. If not you will see an “Import Blueprint” button. If you see the “import blueprint” button jump to step 6. If you see “Override Blueprint” button then keep reading.

Scroll down to read all the documentation including the warning from HA.

:warning: STOP - Have you done a full backup because you get no warning
 it is going to happen if you click the “Override Blueprint” button.

If you are happy with everything (again, a backup of HA) then and only then should you click the “Override Blueprint” button.

You have now updated a blueprint :tada:.

To check everything was done correctly, go into your automation and or the blueprint, you should see the new version displayed at the top confirming you are on the latest.

6 - Not Working For You - Looks like you manually installed the blueprint. If that is the case then you will have to manually update it. Click Here to go through the steps on how to do that.

But Wait!! If you would like to take advantage of this new update feature then you will have to import the blueprint again. Then update all of your automations, but check out the “Tip” below as it is not that hard to do.

• TIP - In the YAML file of your existing automations is a file path. Once you imported the blueprint into your HA you can just change the file path to the new location in your existing automations. If you are unsure of the file path just add a test automation with the newly imported blueprint and go into your automation, top right 3 dots, Edit in YAML, and you will see the file path. Then copy the path of the newly imported blueprint automation.

Before you update the path: First copy the YAML of the existing automation you would like to update and save it in another file as your back up, yes I like back ups.

Once you have the new file path, use this file path in the existing automations you would like to update by replacing it with the new file path and clicking save. Do one at a time and check if it worked. You will then be able to use the new update feature in the future :wink:

Hope this helps you.

Enjoy

Back to FAQ: Click Here

2 Likes

Hello.
This is an awesome blueprint. I am having trouble getting the fan to turned off though. I am using a script only feature. I created two scripts, one to turn the fan ON and set it up in as “Fan Switch” with its accompanying toggle. The second script turns the fan OFF and set in the automation as the “Input - Fan Speed - Switch Off.”
“Falling Humidity” is set to -1 and the derivative sensor easily shows values below -3.5 after the shower is off. The time delay is set to 8 minutes. However, the OFF script never gets called. Is there anything I am missing?

@MJC1

Firstly welcome to the community :wave:

I can’t see your settings but have a look at this

If that doesn’t fix it then could you please provide us your YAML of the automation? This YAML code are the settings you have selected in the automation so I can help. To do this go into your automation, top right 3 dots, Edit in YAML, copy all the code, come back to the forum and in your reply at the top tool bar click on “</>” and paste code in there.

Let us know how you go.

Rookie mistake. I am rather embarrassed I didn’t notice that. Made the change and works like a charm. Thanks Blacky!

@MJC1

No problem, there are a lot of options to go through. Thanks for getting back to us and your welcome.

Enjoy

Is there anyway to use a light as a switch? Our home uses Lutron lighting, and the exhaust fans in the bathrooms are all type “light” (they switch the fan light on as well).

There is a helper to make a switch look like a light, but there doesn’t sppear to be an easy way to make a light look like a switch. :slight_smile:

@fresnoboy There is no need to convert it to a switch. I will do a FAQ on how to do this now. Stay tuned.

Wow, that was fast. Thanks!

FAQ - How can I use a light domain for the “Fan Switch”

Sometimes depending on what you are using to control your fan HA show it as a light entity (light domain) and you are unable to enter it into the “Fan Switch” input.

Light domains will work in the “Fan Switch” input.

The step below will walk you through the process on how to enter in your light domain into the “Fan Switch” input.

1. Copy your entity ID for your fan that has a light domain.

2. Open up and automation using the blueprint. Enter in any switch, don’t worry we will change this in the next step.

3. Click on the 3 dots top right and edit in YAML. We are looking for the fan switch entity ID as shown below. You will see the switch (entity) you entered in. Now just paste the fan light domain entity in replacing the switch entity and click save.

4. Go back by clicking on the 3 dots top right and “Edit in visual editor”

5. You should see your fan entity now selected. Fill out the rest of your automation settings and click save.

Your done :tada:

You can still update the blueprint when one becomes available and all your settings will be okay.

Enjoy

Back to FAQ: Click Here

Curious, all my Caseta switches came in a “switch” and all dimmers as “light”, but its been a while since I’ve added anything new.

Which switch are you using?

We have a homeworks QS system. Amazing system in general with geeat home assistant support.

1 Like

I should have thought of trying that! Thanks, will implement it today.

@fresnoboy
No problem, let us know how you go.

Hallo, i try this automation now. but it doesent fire. What make i wrong

alias: Bad Duschen
description: ""
use_blueprint:
  path: Blackshome/bathroom-humidity-exhaust-fan.yaml
  input:
    trigger: sensor.tempkuhlschrankkuche_humidity
    fan_switch:
      entity_id: input_boolean.bad_dummy
    rising_humidity: 4
    falling_humidity: -5
    time_delay: 10
    light_switch:
      entity_id: light.bad
    light_time_delay: 15
    include_light_control:
      - use_brightness
    light_brightness: 25
    include_automation_link: enable_automation_link
    automation_link_time_delay: 15
    automation_link:
      - input_boolean.bad_toggle_auto

@lucascoco

Maybe you trigger is wrong. Please have a read of this in the FAQ.

First step is this one

Q: How do you set up a Derivative Sensor Helper?

A: Please follow these steps Click Here

Once you have that set up, the next step is this one

Q: I have set up a “Derivative Sensor Helper” but how do i set up the automation settings?

A: Please follow these steps Click Here

1 Like