Bathroom Occupied light - but he’s colourblind

My bathroom door doesn’t have a lock on it, it’s also a hollow cheap door so I don’t fancy trying to install a lock (rental).

I have managed to get presence detecting going, wasp method with motion sensor inside and the door sensor as well as a humidity sensor (think bath times etc). I was going to operate this in turning the hallway light red to indicated occupied, green for unoccupied.

Then…I remembered my other half is colour blind. He sees both of those colours as a shade of brown! I have no plug sockets in the hallway to operate a wall tablet etc.

Any ideas? I like automating things, choosing the difficult way out rather than buy a new door

I know basically nothing about colour blindness so this is probably very naive but can’t you just choose some other colours that he can differentiate between?

Pulse the light when it’s red.

Something like

trigger:
  platform: state
  entity_id: binary_sensor.wasp_in_bathroom
  to: 'on'
action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    data:
      entity_id: light.outside_bathroom
      color_name: red
  - repeat:
      sequence:
          data:
            brightness_pct: 40
        - delay:
            seconds: 2
          data:
            brightness_pct: 80
        - delay:
            seconds: 2
      until:
        - condition: state
          entity_id: binary_sensor.wasp_in_bathroom
          state: 'off'
    data:
      color_name: green
      brightness_pct: 80

You can template the brightness per time of day, so you could set the ‘green’ brightness to zero in daylight so the light actually turns off, and have the brightness lower in the middle of the night than in the early evening.

1 Like

He can basically see sepia tones. I had no idea how bad it was until he took a test which produced an image of what he can see versus what I can see. Genuinely was shocked! He can see shades of blue, and shades of yellow/beige!

1 Like

This is a good idea he would be able to see that definitely

1 Like

I’m sorry if this sounds condescending, but is there a reason you can’t just change to doorknob to a privacy lockset?

As someone who is protan colorblind (red/green), I do this same thing with our bathroom as well. But, to make it easier on me, my wife and I went with pulsing white for an in-use for indicator (as @anon43302295 suggested).

It’s actually pretty funny explaining to guests why the hallway light flashes when someone goes to the bathroom.

1 Like

How about a flashing light to indicate do not enter?