Battery Sensors Only Updated on Restart

I can only get a battery value update when restart hassio. I have been searching for a solution to this issue for days now. All the solutions I found don’t seem to work, including using a time based sensor entity id to update each minute. I have also supplied the ‘parent’ zwave device as the entity ID. Is it a pointless task or should the zwave battery levels on a door sensor and door locks update regularly?

I am on hass.io 0.85.

Here is a sample sensor that I have configured.

- platform: template
  sensors:
  batt_fridge_door:
    friendly_name: 'Fridge Door Battery'
    entity_id: sensor.time
    value_template: '{{ states.zwave.ingersoll_rand_dwzwave1.attributes.battery_level }}'
    unit_of_measurement: '%'
    device_class: battery

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I am not sure that I am even getting updated info from the senors even on restart.

Do I just need to restart HA nightly to update all of the battery sensors?

I have the same problem, though I have the feeling that this only applies to my tradfri remote controls (my phone battery gets updated as it should)

For what it’s worth I think this worked on Vera before I switched to home assistant.

I see something similar. Most of my battery levels say “last updated 6 days ago”, and my last reboot was 6 days ago. However some of the sensors did get updated more recently. I think the updates do take place more often, however I have the feeling that new values are not stored in the database if they are the same as before. And luckily batteries are not draining that fast that you would see a lot of change in a few days. The battery sensor that did change, changed between 94 and 95% a few times, so still stable, but with a little noise.

Question is can we force to store a measurement every hour (or other time period)? If we can do that we can see that the sensor is still functional.

1 Like

I would also love this - a timed force update. I have some sensors like the Mac/PC integrations that update very haphazardly. A force update of everything once, say, every 15 minutes would solve this.