BBC Radio without being forced to use the mobile app?

BBC radio used to be relatively painless, you could pick streams out from a web browser or similar, and stream those to HASS.

Since BBC changed their radio streams in October or November, this did not work for me (outside the UK if that matters) any more. The only way streaming works for me is using a mobile client and using Chromecast to stream to my chromecast devices. Which works OK, but I would e.g. have a method to push a ZigBee wall switch or automation and start e.g. the BBC 1Xtra radio stream automatically in some shape or form.

Is this still possible? I found lots of older postings that seem to describe earlier workarounds before the most recent BBC streaming changes 2? months (or so) ago, but I suspect most of this stuff does not work any more.

Ralph

I have currently gone back to this for radio wales, was using radio browser, but Radio wales stopped working. Not sure where the config for this came from, but it works.

service: media_player.play_media
data:
  media_content_id: "  { \"app_name\": \"bbcsounds\", \"media_id\": \"bbc_radio_wales_fm\",  \"is_live\": true }"
  media_content_type: cast
target:
  entity_id: media_player.home_group

I guess you probably need to change the Wales bit, unless you want to listen to radio Wales. Right click on the timeline in the live player for the text you need for your radio station.

Thanks a lot, I will try!

Works great!!!