Beacon MQTT [Android]

Hi @rdehuyss can you please explain the application of this app, ESPHome and ibeacon itself in your system? I.e. the main use?

Many thanks

The version 2 of the app seems to be working well. I am getting iBeacon alerts thru to my MQTT Broker. Still an issue at my end of overlapping zones, am trying to reduce output power of beacons to try and reduce range at which I pick them up.
Biggest issue now is how to configure hassio tracker to show which room I am in.

Simon,

MQTT Device Tracker always writes the name of beacon (zone in HA terms) to state of your Huawei P30 Pro. Without any conditions. Even if such a zone is absent in the configuration of HA. It is not an issue. In my opinion it’s clear.

As I told you before in case of overlapped beacons we should have more complex logic in app. May be we should publish only the beacon with a maximum signal level.

I see it to do too based presence detection.

I’m now trying it with one room: the kitchen. There I have an ESP32 which emits a Bluetooth beacon. Using this app, once the beacon comes in range, I know I’m near the kitchen. The idea is that the one with the strongest signal, is the room where I’m at.

1 Like

Hi can you share the code used on the ESP32?

I’m not behind my PC today but it’s really easy using esphome.

Here you can find it: https://esphome.io/components/esp32_ble_beacon.html

The important thing is to create different UUID’s for each room.

I’m now waiting on my PCB’s to be delivered. I’d like to create a multi sensor fire alert with the BLE beacon.
See ESPHome based Smoke Alarm

Ronald,
There is a simpler way. Just 1,5USD.

Your setup is so similar to Simon’s. You also should have overlapped beacons. Do you have any difficulties?

1 Like

Hi,
Great App~ Thank you so much.
Do you have a plan to include a TLS security for MQTT connection like the Owntracks?
I have used a Ibeacon and Owntracks to open my front gate.
When I come up to my beacon, I am in LTE network. So, I need powerful security.
Today, I uninstalled the Owntracks and installed your app. I am so satisfied with it.(it is the one that I have desired for a long time)
Thank you again~

Hi @af950833! I’ll implement TLS option soon. Thanks for a feedback.

Did you manage to use more then one and get a per room presence?

Fantastic app!

I’d love if we could mimic Geofencys webhook feature.
It basically allows you to send a POST or GET request to your server everytime you enter or exit the beacon area.

It also has a home assistant component so we don’t have to expose our mqtt server.

1 Like

So does that mean you have to have your bluetooth on your phone turned on every time ?

My Bluetooth is indeed always on, already for years.

1 Like

right I was so blunt in assuming your phone’s bluetooth doesnt require to be turned on as you approach the beacon as its already connected to e.g. rpi running HA.

Hi
great job, i love this app.
you can add gps coordinates in the message to track moving objects (example car

)
sorry for english, it’s not my language.

great app!
I’ve been using it for a week and it is working perfectly, the only test left to be done, is the mobile battery usage per day
my setup is:
mobile (Beacon app)->ESPHome (ibeacon)->HASSIO (automation)->ESPHome (actuator)
because I’m using different HASSIO instances for different locations, I would love to see a feature where I can choose the MQTT server according to the scanned UID
@Turbo thanks again for your effort

Thanks for your feedback, guys! It has a strong motivating effect.

Right now I’m working on v0.3. The main feature is TLS. Also some improvemens of UI/UX wil be done.

Please don’t ask me to make owntracks. It is done already and works perfectly. My project called Beacon MQTT. It will listen beacons and send messages to broker. I’ll work harder to make it the best.

@katsaplias nice idea. It can be useful for advanced users. I’ll open issue on github.

Thanks for your work on this app, I’ve been trying to use it for Room Detection with mixed results. Would it be possible to add RSSI or Proximity to the MQTT message? I currently get too many false positives to be reliable. For example, I’m sitting at my desk (not moving) and it detects the LR beacon then after a minute or 2 it says LR not detected.
Thanks again for sharing your work.

Winter Is Coming! Hmm … And that means, I have more time for my pet projects!

I pushed to play market small update for v0.2:

• Connection status toasts will appear only on startup and after change settings of MQTT server
  • Fix IllegalStateException on startup on Android9+ Samsung devices

Ronald, have a nice day. If you are still with us.

1 Like

Hi Alex,

You have a nice day too!! Why would you think I’m not among you anymore?

Small question: would you consider adding HTTP(s) support instead of only MQTT support. I know Owntracks now also supports HTTP and this way I could make my MQTT server private again.

Cheers!
Ronald (still living :wink: )