Benext sensors update only 3-4 times per day

I have a bunch of Benext door sensors, which I actually use as temperature sensors. It worked all right with Benext own ecosystem, but in HA the temperature updates only 3-4 times per day.

The reason seems to be, that those sensors do not send the temperature data, unless asked. And HA (i.e. Z-wave JS) only asks it every 6 or more hours - as specified here. As the sensors wake up every 2 hours, so they are being queried after every 3-4 sleep cycles.

I would like to make them wake up once per hour, and to be queried every time they wake up.

I suppose it is possible to send them a command to make them wake up every 1 hour (but as this should be done with wake-up command class, and not configuration command class, I haven’t figured out how to do this).

Another thing is to make the Z-Wave JS to query them on every wake-up - is this even possible?

You can create an automation to refresh the sensor entity as often you like. When a device is sleeping, ZJS will queue the refresh message and send it when the device wakes up.

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zwave_js/#my-device-does-not-automatically-update-its-status-in-ha-if-i-control-it-manually

HA doesn’t have a simple way to configure wake up interval, but Z-Wave JS UI does, so I’d recommend switching.

From HA, you can use the Dev Tools and service call zwave_js.invoke_cc_api with the WakeUp CC setInterval method .

Many thanks for the advice, @freshcoast ! Will try this out later today.

Do I lose any part of the existing Z-Wave setup, if I switch to the Z-Wave JS UI?

You don’t lose anything from the HA perspective, it’s exactly the same. You gain a lot of extra functionality, including the ability to set wake up interval settings from a UI as mentioned, group associations, etc. and much better debugging (network map) and logging capabilities.

See my guide here for an easy switch:

Thank you, the switch was easy, indeed.

There were some unknown devices (some of my Benext Energy switches), but I suppose those were unknown also under Z-Wave JS. And they seem to work even if called “Unknown product 0x0101”.

And it seems to me that under “Devices values configuration” I can configure both setting a new wake up time, and also polling for temperature value.

A little follow-up to this. Benext door/window sensors are now being polled once per hour.

But I have still a problem with Benext Energy Switches - they send their Watt and kWh values also only every 6-8 hours. However, they should be able to send this data as auto-report, when wattage changes over certain amount, But it seems this mechanism does not work. There is a group setting, which - I think - should enable auto-reporting, but apparently it does not function as expected:

Any advice would be more than welcome :slight_smile: