Berrylan simplicity for home assistant

Berrylan is a project for raspbian that makes it super simple to add wifi access to your raspberry pi using an app on your phone. It would be great if that functionality could be added to the Android and iOS home assistant apps integrated with the containerized version of home assistant.

I suggest NOT putting the device that controls your home on WiFi, instead always use wired connection if possible.
Also last time I installed Raspbian on a Pi, I don’t remember using the console to connect the headless Pi to the WiFi. Put a file with the credentials in the boot folder of the SD card, insert SD card into Pi, done. I don’t understand why one would need an app for that??

I agree, wifi is not the best solution, but sometimes wired connection is not an option. And you don’t need an app, that’s why I added the word simplicity in the title.

If you home automation server can’t be put on wired connection, I would rethink the system, just my personal opinion.

So how do you setup WiFi on the Pi then without the app?

I don’t get why you want this berrylan integrated, setting up WiFi on a headless Pi is easy enough.

Berrylan would let you setup the WIFI without a wired connection or display monitor connected to the pi.

Why not just put a file called “wpa_supplicant.conf” with the following content into the boot partition of the Pi’s SD card?

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=<Insert 2 letter ISO 3166-1 country code here>

network={
 ssid="<Name of your WiFi>"
 psk="<Password for your WiFi>"
}

I see absolutely no reason to install an app on my phone for this.

You don’t have the Home Assistant app installed on your phone? Why?