Best approach for getting a Yale lock to work?

So I went ahead and bought a pair of locks (YRD210-ZW-619), installed them and paired them with my zwave device network. Both the locks show up in OZWCP and in HA, and I updated the YAML so they show up in my default view as toggle switches. My issue is that toggling the switches in HA does nothing. Using the developer tools like this to execute service calls doesn’t seem to work either. I am hoping to eventually be able to do the following in HA:

• Lock/Unlock
  • Status - Locked/Unlocked
  • Status - Battery Level
  • Incorrect Code Entry Alert
  • User Access Management

As far as I can tell, I have the following options unless someone could steer me in direction I haven’t considered. Ideally I would like to avoid buying a hub, but if that is the only way to get most of the functionality I am looking for I would consider it.

1. Since my specific lock is not yet fully supported, I could try adding a new entry to the manufacturer_specific.xml and create a corresponding config file using a similar lock as guideline. I have never successfully added a device in this manner but this guide seems like a good starting point.

2. I could buy an off the shelf hub, setup my locks on it, and then integrate the hub with HA. maybe something like this. If I go this route is a smartthings hub the best option? Or are their other hubs that are easier to integrate with HA?

Can’t answer #1 but going to research it since it looks interesting. But regarding #2, Wink integrates very well with HA and there is generic Z-Wave locks supported. However Smartthings currently lists 3 Yale locks in their supported hardware so my recommendation would be to go with ST since it is specifically supported.

Did you ever get this working? I’ve got the same Yale lock and am wanting to integrate into HA via MQTT.

No, I ended up replacing my HASS setup with a smart things hub and a google home which works pretty good. I might jump back into HASS when it is a little more built out, but with a child I just don’t have the time to fiddle with these kinds of things. If you get it to work please post a note here!

@JoeDSM Just having my Keyfree Connected lock/door fitted today. I fully expected to be able to use this with HASS, is it not the case then?

It absolutely is possible, however it may take quite a bit of fiddling with configuration, and a lot of trial and error. Your best bet is to try to find someone who has already setup your exact lock on HASS and copy what they did to get it to work. Also since we’re talking about a door lock, there is an additional layer of configuration to ensure the device is secure using encrypted communication. I have been out the HASS scene and just watching from a distance for several months so perhaps locks are easier to setup now? I plan on moving to a new house next summer and might take that opportunity to jump back in. Hopefully someone builds a more turn key solution to setting up locks by that point :joy:

Ha, literally in the same position as you, my door is being setup in 3 weeks, installing homeass on my raspberry pi 3 at the moment and about to get into this.

I would suggest making a new topic otherwise you might not find the answers here relevant as this thread is for other yale locks.

1 Like

my module just came today so I’ll be looking into this tonight and over the weekend, were you successful with your attempt?