Best Door Lock

@Jer78 Would it be possible to share the input_boolean code you made? as well as how you expose it to homebridge. I seem to be having some difficulty.

Hey,

Can I ask you if you are testing the Danalock V3?

@gswtt0

So hereā€™s the input_boolean

front_door_lock:
    name: Front Door Locked
    icon: mdi:lock 

And add this to your customize section:

input_boolean.front_door_lock:
  homebridge_name: FD Lock

Youā€™ll also have to configure Homebridge, add this to your config.json. Change the default to hidden if you want to specify which devices are exposed. I leave mine visible by default

"platforms": [
  {
    "platform": "HomeAssistant",
    "name": "HomeAssistant",
    "host": "http://127.0.0.1:8123",
    "password": "yourapipassword",
    "supported_types": ["automation", "binary_sensor", "climate", "cover", "device_tracker", "fan", "group", "input_boolean", "light", "lock", "media_player", "remote", "scene", "script", "sensor", "switch", "vacuum"],
    "default_visibility": "visible",
    "logging": true,
    "verify_ssl": false
  }
]
1 Like

I use the schlage connect camelot model, Iā€™ve had it hooked up to home assistant since May 2016. My experience has been mostly very positive, zwave nearly always works flawlessly. I use presence detection to automatically unlock the door when my wife or I get home, if friends are checking in on the house itā€™ll automatically disable the security system for them, etc. My only complaints have been that some months it eats through batteries, other times itā€™ll go 2-3 months on the same batteries. I know the manual says only use alkaline but next Iā€™m going to try rechargeable lithium batteries. Iā€™ve also noticed that when the battery gets low, zwave connectivity starts to drop.

Iā€™m trying to do something similar to what you describe, can you share any more information on the software youā€™re running on the arduino & esp8266?

Baldwin just released a new smart lock which has Kevo hardware inside. So basically you can think of it as Kevo lock. With KevoPlus bridge, should be able to integrate into HA. But there seem to be NO built-in support for KevoPlus bridge in HA yet.

https://www.baldwinhardware.com/evolved

I play to get Baldwin Lock and hopefully there will be easy way to integrateā€¦

I have the Baldwin lock installed and have been using it for a few months now. I have a Kevo Plus on the way so I can set it up with HA.

The lock itself is really nice, looks classy, and you would never know it is a smart lock from the outside - I love the design. The Kevo technology on the other hand is lacking. I often have to open the app to get the door to lock/unlock or even shutdown the app and relaunch it before it will work. When it works, it is great, when it doesnā€™t it is frustrating. Also, I have to calibrate the lock every three or four weeks to keep it working well.

As a side note, the dongles you can buy, either Baldwin ($60/each) or Kevo ($20/each), work great (100% of the time) and much better than our iPhone 7s. Iā€™m hoping with the Kevo Plus I can at least automate the locking of the door so when I set away mode the door locks after a set delay and at least Iā€™m winning 50% of the battle (the locking part).

1 Like

Thank you for responding Will. Yes, Baldwin are amazing locks, but you are confirming my worst fear that Kevo and KevoPlus are not the best option for HAā€¦ Makes me want to delay my purchase until Kevo comes up with a Zwave kevoplus bridge or Baldwin release a Zwave lockā€¦

Please share your experience of integrating the Kevo plus into HA. If you are successful and happy with the results, I may still consider Baldwin .

Here is something others shared on KevoPlus in response to my questions:

https://github.com/Bahnburner/pykevoplus/issues/1#issuecomment-367102076

There are plans in the works by @gaggle331 on the home assistant community forums to integrate this into a full hass component, but since August the work has pretty much stalled. The unofficial component has been posted and for the most part, it works as expected. Recently though, Unikey/Kwikset has implemented something on the server-side that is returning Error 500ā€™s after a few hours of use. Restarting Hass rectifies the issue, for a few hours. Weā€™re unsure of the means theyā€™re using to determine who is using the component, as using python scripts to execute commands directly through pykevoplus/pykevocontrol continues to work without issue.

With that being said, while the Kevo locks are a neat toy, if I knew at the time of purchase what I know now, I would have bought standard z-wave locks instead. They work reliable when using them as advertised, but Unikey/Kevo definitely doesnā€™t want the locks interacting with other devices anytime soon. They showed off a z-wave enabled Kevo Plus bridge a few years ago at CES, but it appears to be vaporware at this point, as nothing has come to fruition.

Just curious, how exactly do you setup the script for unlocking the door with presence detection?
Since your presence detection is using wifi when your phoneā€™s connected, what happens when youā€™re already inside the house? Does the door still remain unlocked after locking it?

Oops, just seeing this now!

I use wifi, bluetooth, and a 15 minute timer setup to our lock codes for presence detection. We have android phones with googleā€™s mesh routers so our phones are connected to the wifi 99% of the time weā€™re home. The bluetooth is to just be a backup to that. The 15 minute timer is so that if our phone is dead or wifi is turned off when we get home, the house registers us as home and disables the alarm as well as not automatically unlock the door in 10 minutes when wifi is connected again.

All that said, occasionally the house will think weā€™re not home and unlock the door while weā€™re still home. Iā€™m not generally too worried about that, I disable all home/away functionally after 9:30 at night and before 7 in the morning (thereā€™s a input_boolean that can be toggled if we know weā€™ll be home late and entering a code always works).

Right now I just rely on the lockā€™s auto 30 second lock. Iā€™m going to change that soon to be auto-lock via home assistant but I have to first come up with a good way to warn if the lock hasnā€™t been communicating via zwave. This seems to only happen when the batteries are pretty drained so shouldnā€™t be much of a problem, just more a hassle because the lock always says the batteries are at 100%.

After a long deliberation I have decided to go with an August Lock, which I just bought. It does NOT fit my Baldwin lock as it has a plate inside and August does not plan to release a lock that could work with my type of lock. I intent to completely redo the back side of my door and make August lock work . It will require removal of Baldwin plate, making some replacement that can accommodate August. Will post results if I am successful. August is Zwave Plus, so should easy integrate into HA.

yo.

Iā€™m looking at August pro, Schlage z-wave and Yale z-wave (YRD 220)

However what I cannot find about any of these is the z-wave frequency.

I live in europe so my z-wave frequency is 868.40 ; 868.42 ; 869.85
in US its 908.4 ; 908.42 ; 916.

Cant find any info about the frequency.
dont want to buy anything that doesnt work.

Schlage locks are a good one but I would suggest you to check August 3rd Generation smart door lock as it is awesome and works well with Voice Assistant device like Amazon Echo, Google Home, and Siri as well.

Nobody uses Xiaomi (Zigbee) door lock?

I intend to buy one. All my smart things are Xiaomi and it works pretty good with Iphone and HA.

Hi i just ordered one of these locks what actions does HA support with the lock ?

I thought i was out of luck after not reading the components section correctly, HA site says its not really functioning.

As far as i know, you cant control the lock. HA can just read the status.

2 Likes

Yeah seems the case, all good status is actually what I was after anyway. Thanks

ok. I am using an aqara door lock S2 with hass, via zigbee2mqtt. itā€™s ok.

1 Like

@ceh
Hello, let me know if is necessary rub to connect on HA

Sorry, but I donā€™t understand the question.