Best external Z-Wave hub - best device support?

@will In all honesty, I have noticed that there is sometimes a slight half-second delay with activations from example a motion sensor to a light on automation that I have configured.

The delay is consistent and is never longer, it just means that when I walk there is a slight half-second when the light is not instantly on, but is on in less time than it is to reach for the switch.

It sounds a lot worse than it is. :slight_smile:

For me though, I’m 100% satisfied with the consistent stability, reliability and consistent performance of the VeraPlus controller that I have. I’m never looking back at this rate.

Best part for me is that I no longer fear restarting HA, because that was an ordeal waiting for z-wave to settle down after a restart.

Sorry for the delay in answering, any further questions, feel free to ask.

I wish I found this thread months ago. My USB stick is trash and my Vera should be delivered sometime today :slight_smile:

I did read your thread yesterday and I hope you have more luck with Vera than I did a couple of years ago. I threw mine out because I was sick of it crashing

1 Like

@keith-michael that sounds awesome, let us know how you get on.
How many z-wave devices are you using? How many devices are you using and any exotic hardware?

@sparkydave we get it, your Vera3 didn’t work for you, you’ve said enough times. :neutral_face:
As I’ve said, your Vera3 is an older model and your experience doesn’t appear to be the same as VeraPlus users. I hope Vera has learned and improved.

Ugh. I’m frustrated again. My Vera is down and wife and I are pissed. After I opened the box on Friday night it took many hours to get the thing actually working due to a firmware upgrade which I installed.

After I got it up and running things worked.

Last night another firmware posted and now I have a brick. Now I’m going to spent a lot of time repairing this.

This is madness.

EDIT: Reset device and was able to connect to device. Restored backup I made just before firmware upgrade, and rebooted. Problem remains.

EDIT 2: This time I did a Factory wipe, Not sure how this is different from the reset but google tells me so. It was removed my Vera account so once it was done and back on my network I connected it again. Then I restored a different backup from yesterday morning. Problem remains.

I have around 50 zwave devices, nothing crazy, perhaps the schlage connect which works well.

Wow…I wonder if it is something odd with your ZWave setup that these hubs/devices don’t like. This does remind every time I see Zwave issues out there why I use esp8266 based WiFi devices. I do have a few ZWave things but it is minimal and will definitely stay that way.

I had time to call Vera support during lunch. After I explain the problem they logged in.

It turns out the latest Vera firmware included an upgrade to zwave. It seems there is either something wrong with it or maybe I have some dud device. Who knows. But instead of reverting vera firmware they downgraded zwave, then restored my backup from last night. Back in business.

Here are the types of device I have, dont think I have anything exotic

Ecolink motion and door (zwave plus and zwave)
aeotec smart switches 6
aeotec water sensor
aeotec 4in1
aeotec door window
ecolink garage
Zooz 4in1 sensor (plus)
schlage connect z wave
bunch of ge switches and dimmers - the old kind!!! :frowning:
ge outdoor switch

I’m actually a fairly new home assistant user coming strictly from a Vera Plus. I’ve been frustrated with the lack of third-party Integrations supported by Vera so I am branching out as suggested to home assistant. I’m running Hass.io on my Raspberry Pi with Vera and like it so far.

I was hoping to eliminate the VeraPlus entirely and purchase a zwave and zigbee USB stick instead. After reading this thread, I’m questioning that path forward.

Are the zwave sticks really that much worse than the VeraPlus hub?

I’ve been using Vera for years.
I’ve started using HA to offload the Luup code that I had recently added to the scenes on the Vera. It was really slowing the Vera scenes down.

The Vera makes a great hub for HA and couldn’t be easier to interface with HA. And you don’t need to re-setup your devices.

1 Like

I have only had a Vera lite, so that’s is not a good reference. But when I started out on my HASS endeavour I settled for the Aeotec z wave stick and I have had zero problems with it. It just works for me, I have approximately 20 devices on it.

the VeraLite is only zwave and wifi

the VeraPlus is
Z-Wave
Z-Wave plus
ZigBee
Bluetooth
Wi-Fi

Is bluetooth enabled now? When I tried one, Bluetooth was not enabled.

i have bluetooth turned off on mine, but it’s a simple check box to turn it on.

I’ve had issues with the Zooz. Rest are all ok in my system.

I don’t get Temperature working …it’s showing unknown . In Vera I think looks ok …I get all the values …any idea ? I’ve a Veraplus and latest hass

Hi mate,

I’m just getting into this and wanting to convert an entire 4 bedroom house wiht smart zwave switches. I’m in Brisbane and trying to figure out the perfect combination of equipment.

Based on your experience within AUS, what would you recommend I purchases?

I’ve got a raspberry pi and just trying to understand the other addon bits, zwave hub, usb stick? zwave in wall switches (to convert traditional light circuits)

I use an Aeotec gen 5 USB z-stick in my RPi3. It works great. As for wall switches, you can go various ways. In my old house I used a combination of devices. In some places I had z-wave dimmers and others just z-wave switches, in both instances connected to momentary pushbuttons. I’m currently renting so opted for non-invasive ZigBee wireless buttons controlling wifi globes. I still use z-wave multisensors and a few z-wave switches which I retro-fitted to custom boxes with plugs and sockets.

Thanks man, really appreciate the advice.

What brand of z-wave switches did you use?

My new place is a 4 bedroom circa 2005 wood frame house, should i be worried about the range of the USB?

What the benefit of using an external hub vs the usb stick hub?

I had DHS dimmers (don’t get these, they are crap) and Aeotec switches. Stick with Aeotec and Fibaro.

Don’t worry about range. I’m in a double brick house and have zero range issues. Z-wave is a mesh network. Powered devices (not battery) will act as repeaters.