Best platform for led control with HA

Hi everyone

Just starting out with HA, and have a question regarding LED strips.

Just to get startet, i have purchased some 24v rgb cct strip, and was wondering which platform has the best/easiest integration with HA?

I have been looking at several controllers for the strip, but was hoping someone in here had some experience.

I have found Mi light and there YL5: https://stair-lighting.com/milight-yl5-p-2188.html, but i know there are other alternatives, and looking for some advice on this.

As i understand it, there are several different platforms to choose from, flux LED/Magic light, Limitless LED, and PWM LED light.
Are there one easy choice when we are talking rgb cct control?

Kind regards
Martin Hendriksen

I’m personally a fan of the Gledopto Zigbee controller. It paired easily to my ZHA stick and works really well.

I have purchased and setup a MiLight YL5 and cannot get it working with the LimitlessLED component. No configuration seems to work.

Probably uses FUT089 protocol.

At least the picture on futlight.com shows FUT089 support so you can have a look at ESPMH (although it requires a DYI gateway, it is far superior to native ibox):

Anyone figured out a working configuration for the Mi-Light/Ledenet YL5 WiFi 5in1 controller? It’s a fantastic RGBW controller, but only if I don’t have to use their Mi-Light app!

I don’t have that specific controller (I have FUT045 while YL5 seems to have Wifi control - so they need to be added to wifi in order to be controlled by mobile app/Alexa which requires cloud access, which might be unwanted for privacy aspect - in addition to regular MiLight - custom 2.4 Ghz band) however I suggest reviewing the possibility of using physical remotes (handheld - FUT088/FUT089 and/or wall mounted - B0/B4/B8) to control the leds in addition to the ESPMH indicated by me above (ESPMH is fairly cheap, not complicated to setup and the controls are far beyond the ones of the official Limitless component).

Limitless component has issues controlling latest MiLight models and, in addition, it cannot keep track of lights if different control units (mobile app/HA/physical remote) are used which ESPMH can successfully tackle by having lights in sync regardless of method used for control.

Also, by using MiLight physical remotes, one can build solid controls for light system as the remotes are not dependent on any hub (physical remote can control bulb/led strip without the official iBox or ESPMH), wifi or even home automation system. Consider this: a power failure or wifi router issues can cause the HA, iBox or ESPMH to loose connection so this leaves the house pretty much in dark; however, the physical remotes (AAA battery power) are paired directly to bulbs so they won’t be affected.

The esp8266 project looks interesting as a hub for the Ledenet wireless controllers! Unfortunately I already have the wifi version which won’t work with that. :confused:

It looks like mine should work with the flux_led component, but I’m having no luck so far.

Based on the pictures on Futlight site (http://futlight.com/productdetails.aspx?id=347&typeid=151) it appears that is responding to both MiLight and Wifi. If you have any of the MiLight remotes you can try to pair it. However, if it doesn’t work with the MiLight remote or with the indicated ESPMH project, I think that its developer might be willing to add support for YL5 as he has significantly expanded the number of supported devices.

2.4 Ghz is the actual description of the MiLight protocol (not Wifi, which is obviously confusing). FUT045 (MiLight protocol only led controller - http://futlight.com/productdetails.aspx?id=309&typeid=146) which could be the base product for YL5 indicates 2.4 Ghz only compatibility and works with most MiLight remotes.

I’m having a similar problem with my Milight YL1S. So the only way to handle this cloudbased solution from Milight is to still have some sort of ESP hub?

I also cant find an IP, so I cant get LimtitlessLED and Flux to work either.

Hi apop, I have the Gledopto Zigbee controller and I’m using a Nortek HUSBZB-1 USB stick with my Raspberry 4 64-bit on one of the USB 3.0 ports.

I have tried to pair the device many times to no avail using the ZHA integration. I believe that the Gledopto is in pairing mode because the lights glow white whenever I power it on.

I’ve changed the channel in my router–I’ve moved the Pi further away from the router, and I’ve placed the stick on a short USB extention cable as well.

I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. Do I need to add code in my configuration yaml?

Thanks,
Kevin

It’s been a loooong time since I paired it. I remember it being a little finicky and that I needed a Zigbee plug in the same room to extend my mesh to it a little better before it would reliably pair. But other than that, I don’t really remember having to do anything special.