Best practice for Homematic integration

Hi,

I am currently in the process of cleaning up my Homeassistant installation in regards to device names and was wondering:

What do you use as a naming scheme for your Homematic devices (heater thermostats)? They get a rather procedural name in Homematic, do you rename them in Homematic or remap the names in HA? What is your Homematic workflow?

Any advice/tips greatly appreciated!

I prefer to keep the native entity IDs (the ones with the serial number). If you decide to use the named ones (using the resolvenames option), automations referencing the named entity will break if you rename the entity on the CCU. Which probably won’t happen often.
Another problem is when you add new devices. They will initially directly pop up in Home Assistant with the serial-based entity ID. That’s because HA detects the device before you can assign a proper name. Hence you’ll have to restart HA once you have renamed the device on the CCU to get the final entity ID.
Most people don’t seem to be bothered by these things though if I look at how many people choose to resolve the names. :man_shrugging:

Sorry the question - how does the resolvnames-Option work?
My configuration.yaml looks so:

homematic:
  interfaces:
    rf:
      host: 192.168.178.31
      port: 2001
      resolvenames: json
      username: Admin
      password: abc
    hmip:
      port: 2010
    groups:
      port: 9292
      path: /groups
  hosts:
    raspberrymatic:

what do I have to set to get the names and not the serial numbers?

That’s looking ok actually. Please verify if you have set your CCU to allow access via JSON-RPC.

Please excuse the question - but I use RaspberryMatic and don’t know where and how I can allow JSON-RPC…Do you have any Idea? Thank you! :slight_smile:

It’s somewhere in the Security / Firewall settings. Can’t tell exactly, as I’m using a different system. Might be called HomeMatic Script as well. In any case, it’s at the place where you also control access to the XML-RPC API.

I meant: Where can you set that the serial numbers of the Homematic devices are not transferred to the Home Assistant, but the names of the devices?
Ich would like transfer the Homematic Names to Home Assistant and not the Serial Number. Is this possible?

My Log looks so:

2021-12-12 14:56:58 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [pyhomematic._hm] RPCFunctions.jsonRpcPost: Exception: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
2021-12-12 14:56:58 WARNING (SyncWorker_4) [pyhomematic._hm] RPCFunctions.addDeviceNames: Unable to open session.
2021-12-12 14:56:58 ERROR (Thread-3) [pyhomematic._hm] RPCFunctions.jsonRpcPost: Exception: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
2021-12-12 14:56:58 WARNING (Thread-3) [pyhomematic._hm] RPCFunctions.addDeviceNames: Unable to open session.
2021-12-12 14:56:58 ERROR (Thread-3) [pyhomematic._hm] RPCFunctions.jsonRpcPost: Exception: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
2021-12-12 14:56:58 WARNING (Thread-3) [pyhomematic._hm] RPCFunctions.addDeviceNames: Unable to open session.
2021-12-12 14:57:07 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of homematic is taking over 10 seconds.
2021-12-12 14:57:08 ERROR (SyncWorker_3) [pyhomematic._hm] RPCFunctions.jsonRpcPost: Exception: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
2021-12-12 14:57:08 WARNING (SyncWorker_3) [pyhomematic._hm] ServerThread.jsonRpcLogin: Unable to open session.

Whats going wrong?

I have the solution:

I must write the hostname instead the IP.

See: Installation HomeAssistant · jens-maus/RaspberryMatic Wiki · GitHub