Best practice moving from sd-card to ssd raspberry

Hi, I managed to get mine restored to an SSD and it seems to work fine, the only problem is that i can no longer update my hassio. I checked the File System and my dev/root is full. My SSD is 120gb so i am guessing the file system never expanded to use all the space. Is there anyway to expand it? Thanks.

I’m not sure there is a way after it is installed to reallocate missing drive space. How did you go about ‘restoring’? The recommended method to upgrade to ssd is with a ‘fresh install’ of hassos 3.5rc… then you restore your data from a snapshot file (which should be taken before the upgrade).

Since some folks have had issues with snapshot restores, I would also recommend first attempting to restore a full snapshot on your existing system to make sure it works before attempting to upgrade to an ssd.

This is what i did:

1. Full snapshot of system running on SD card
  2. Install HASSIO 3.5 to ssd using Etcher (i enabled the unsafe mode just incase)
  3. Hassio booted up, created a user and made a snapshot (just so i could find the snapshot folder).
  4. I uploaded my SD Card snapshot and did a full restore.
  5. Hassio booted up fine.

As i mentioned earlier i wasnt able to update afterwards even though everything seemed to be working. It was nothing to do with the hd space as i orginally thought, it turned out to be the http entry in my config file (legacy api password i think). I removed the hole thing and it finally updated (i guess it had been depreciated).

So far i have been running it on the SSD for 2 weeks and everything works much better, logs open quicker, reboots are fast etc and i feel safer that its not suddenl going to die on me.

1 Like

Any problems after HassOS reboot or power cut?

No issues after reboot or power loss so far.

1 Like

Your SSD type? And USB adapter?

Adapter

SSD

Is it a 32GB or 64GB? I bought a 64GB msata wuth a X850 board and when I use etcher to load Hassio onto it I get an error that my drive is too large. I also noticed that when it writes to the SSD it uploads between 9mb/s and 1mb/s (goes up and down never stable) and then stops for like a few seconds then uploads again…is it normal that it stops and goes like this (etcher)? It takes forever to load the Hassio image…

Also do I need to connect the 5V on the X850? I noticed it gets power from the USB so is it needed?

I get this error after etcher finishes loading the image:
2020-01-18_19-15-32

So etcher keeps destroying my ssd, I have to always use disk management to revive it…

Maybe this topic can help: https://forums.balena.io/t/checksums-do-not-match/36537

So I’m stuck at burning Hassio into an mSATA ssd. No matter what I try it doesn’t partition properly or corrupts the drive.

This is the closest I got but as you can see the partitions are unknown for some reason. Is there a way to fix this?

So anyone using the X850 with a KingSpec mSATA SSD 64GB?

I can burn the latest Hassio image unto the mSATA but I get a “checksums do not match” at the end. Tried the various fixes for Win10 but nothing fixes it.

But the SSD seem to have the correct info on it so I connected it to my Pi3B+ I can see the Pi loading led blinking and I can see the ssd lights blinking but then the Pi loading led goes off and the SSD lights all stay on while the ethernet light keeps blinking. The hassio is not detected by my router. So not sure what is happening…

When I boot from SD while the SSD is connected I get this in the hardware so I believe the SSD is detected…

I moved hass.os from sd to ssd on RPi 3B+ (with X820 adapter) since a week in a very easy way:

• made a snapshot of whole system and downloaded the tar image into pc.
  • flashed with Balena the latest release of hass.os into the ssd (ssd connected with a usb to sata adapter, no repartitioning or other stuff… just flashed!).
  • turned off home assistant and installed the ssd into X820 then connected it to pi.
  • removed the sd card and turned on the pi.
  • after some minutes connected to local ip of the new installation and resumed the home assistant backup saved to my pc (MAKE SURE TO UNCHECK HOME ASSISTANT TICK FROM THE LIST, RESUME ONLY “FOLDERS” AND “ADD-ON”)
  • take a coffee and wait 10-15 mins then go to the “old” web page of home assistant installation (the one with ssl in my case).

Now my system is up and running, without sd card, really faster than before.
Just to specify, I use a Liteon sata SSD 128Gb and a 5V 4A power adapter connected to the x820 board that route power into RPi with a usb cable (that was provided with the adapter board)

1 Like

Why did you do this?

First time I tried with all options but resulted in some error on loading so second time I unchecked “home assistant” and everything worked flawlessly.
Sincerly, I didn’t checked why and logs. Just made the empiric way :slight_smile:

Ok. I changed from SD to SSD with all on and from SSD to internal M.2 SSD in Argon One case also with all on and it worked.

I was just looking into the change from SD to SSD, i managed to flash the hassio to the ssd, I noticed that HASSIO used on 32Gb from the 240Gb, in the normal PIOS you can use raspi-config to expand the partition and use the full SSD capacity?
How did you expand the partition to use the full capacity?

I flashed the Home Assistant Operating System (hassio is a really old name) from the 64bit image to the SSD. After I booted this, I had the full capacity of the SSD available:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-06 um 14.30.12

Ok thanks, saw in windows that only 32GB was used, will start it up and check it at system / Host

1. Get a cheap USB adapter for your old SD card so it can be connected via USB.

2. Create a generic RPI microsdcard with the plain vanilla os on it and nothing else, which can be done on your PC.

3. Turn off the rpi, and restart it with just the new card you just created. Once it is up and running,

4. Plug in both the SSD via USB, and the old SD card via USB.

5. In the desktop menu on the pi, use the sdcard copier app to make an exact clone of your sdcard on the SSD. Don’t worry about the sdcard being alot smaller than the SSD, the RPI is takes card of the difference later at boot time.

6. Once done, you’ll have to double-check but I believe there is a sudo raspi-config setting that will allow you to tell it to try to boot up off of the USB instead.

7. Shut the RPI down and remove both sdcards, leave the SSD with the USB cable plugged in -

8. Turn the RPI back on. BOOM. No reinstalls needed.