Best practices for migrating Insteon configuration into HA

Hi,

First, Thank you to everyone for this great resource and all the support built around HA!

I am an Insteon user and when the Insteon servers went dark I spun up HA and used the integration to connect to my 2245 hub. Things have been working okay, but now I have some time and want to implement more automation in HA.

I am finding that much of my existing configuration on the Insteon hub is getting in my way and I would like to maybe start with a clean slate. I am thinking that I could:

• Remove my scenes and schedules from the hub
  • Go around to all my Insteon devices and factory reset them
  • re-add them to the Insteon hub to maintain connectivity to HA

Would this give me a clean slate to move all my automation to HA?

Given that the HA Insteon integration is already active and has already sucked in my current Hub configuration do I need to do anything to refresh that or will it do so automatically?

Thank you for any insight you can give me - just want to make sure I don’t box myself into a corner…

Thanks,

Andy

1 Like

Facing similar challenge. I did not renew my subscription with insteon and manage most from HA. Afraid to brick hub and switches with a reset.

@wired24 and @champagj Unfortunately there is no way to remove schedules from the Hub without either:

1. Purchasing the app subscription from Insteon
  2. Factory resetting the Hub.

The first option may be the easier one if you can get a trial or a monthly subscription. You may also be able to contact the Insteon support team. They may have a backdoor option that I am not aware of. I would try option 1 first.

Option 2 is not as bad as it may seem other than it will change the password on your hub back to the default password which is random so you want to make sure the label on the bottom of the hub still shows the original password.

If you reset the Hub, the devices are not affected but all scenes will be deleted too (sort of, more down below). You can add the devices back by Insteon address so you would not even need to go around and press the set button manually for the most part (disclaimer: not all devices respond to a remote linking request). The scenes will still exist in the device configuration but not in the Hub so they will show up as Insteon scenes in the Insteon configuration panel of HA. If you go in and “edit” each scene you can just re-save them and they will be written back into the hub.