Best radio type for 5 floor communication

Hi,

I am looking to set up a sensor in my garage, which is located inside my apartment building, 5 floors below my main unit, which is inside my apartment (I live in the third floor, the garage is in floor -2).

I have been looking at RFM95 specs, that refer a 2Km line of sight range (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rfm69hcw-and-rfm96-rfm95-rfm98-lora-packet-padio-breakouts). A mysensors implementation of a presence detector or a remote switch for the garage door would not be hard to do.

Considering that the range I am looking for is much shorter than that (about max 30-50 meters in a straight line), but with a lot of concrete walls and iron structures in between the two points, do you think this could be a good solution?

If not, what would you advise? Both DIY and of-the-shelf solutions work. If it matters, I now have three main interfaces working: zwave (with a USB dongle), zigbee (with a conbee 2 usb dongle) and RFXCOM.

Thanks for your help!

André

Have you already tried? I would try zwave. Less interference than zigbee (wifi frequency).

Thanks, sender. No I haven’t tried yet. The only zwave device I have is a door lock and I cannot test very well with that, because it is attached to the door…

I will try to get ahold of a switch or something and find out if it works.

In any case, I would not bet that zwave would work reliably through 5 floors in a concrete building.

Thanks!