Best remote control solution

Hi,

I would like to have at home several remote controls with set of push buttons.
Like this one:

My requirements: at least two buttons, small size.
What do you think is the best option for such item? DIY or already existing product? If DIY which platform and wireless protocol to choose?

I know my question very broad, I’m just interesting what is current trend in this stuff.

Actually I found many different smart buttons, but many of them have just one button, which is kinda lame.

Hello my choice would be very clear DIY, if a 3D printer is present !!! As a platform quite clear ESPHome.io, the flexibility is incredible …

For something that does not require programming and works reliably I wound up going with Lutron Caseta remotes - I bought the pro hub just to use the remotes, but it was worth it. 5 buttons on each Pico remote, they are wall mountable, $15 each. But if you’re going to do it use the custom component integration would be my recommendation rather than the built in one.

yeah, i know, esp modules just a little bigger than i want to (when you add battery and other stuff for autonomous work)

Is ZigBee an option? If yes, I can highly recommend the Hue Dimmer Switches integrated over DeConz. 4 buttons, each button has short press, short press release, long press and long press release and they are cheap as well.

1 Like

yeah, ZigBee is good. Your option looks nice, and amount of functions which you described amazing. Definitely will try it.

Going further I found that ZigBee will be best option. And IKEA sells probably most cheapest remote control, costs about $15, has five buttons.