Best RGBIC LED Strip for Home Assistant?

I was thinking of using these RGBIC LEDs for a project, but I wanted to know if Home-assistant had a way of properly supporting RGBIC so I could set different parts of it to be different colors.

Here’s the LEDs I was looking at.

I think the Flux LED/MagicHome integration will control it, but I don’t know if it can set different segments to different colors.

I’ve already looked into Govee and Kasa, but their APIs don’t even have a way to do it. I’m hoping MagicHome’s API does, but it doesn’t appear to…

Then I saw the LIFX Color Zones Strip and thought that could work since the integration appears to support the zones, but the most recent reviews for it are rather discouraging.

Any suggestions? I don’t want to do any soldering if it can be avoided.

WLED

WLED is going to be your most flexible options as it allows splitting up each segment into a separate light entity

flux_led/MagicHome

There isn’t support for multiple light entities for each segment
Support is expected to land in first release of 2022 via

The linked Magic Home controller is the older 0xA1 model but it is well supported in 2021.12 and later

If you go the Magic Home route, the 0xA3 controllers that look like this are probably a better choice as the built-in effects are more interesting.

The newer controllers are

or

LIFX

AFAICT, there isn’t support for multiple light entities for each segment
There is a service to set the color on each of the 8 zones: LIFX - Home Assistant

There are much cheaper options available on the market as well that don’t have the wifi setup issues

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I’ll look into WLED.

For LIFX, I dug into the code on the github and saw there is a service that lets you set states for each zone. It’s not mentioned on the integration page though.

I just tested with an MagicHome 0xA3 controller and verified it can support multiple zones. There isn’t support for it in Home Assistant though.

The 0xA1 and 0xA2 might support it but its not possible in the app

The message looks like this:

# outer message
# b0b1b2b3000101  07 header with counter (07)
# 0034   - leading bytes

# a00006 - start of message 0xA0  6 

#     rrggbbrrggbb
# 0001ff00000000ff
# 0002ff00000000ff
# 0003ff00000000ff
# 0004ff00000000ff
# 0005ff00000000ff
# 0006ff00000000ff
# af - end of inner message
# 
# 61 - end of outer message
1 Like

Thanks for testing that. I could probably use pyscript to make it work since I know it’s at least possible. A good fallback plan if my poor motor skills fail me in getting the WLED stuff to work. Should be able to get that working though without too much issue.

Zone support for Magic Home 0xA3 should hopefully land in the first release of the new year

1 Like

You can use:

With this integration: