Best router replacement - Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Router?

To improve presence detection and wireless coverage I’m planning to switch my Virgin Hub to “modem only” mode and connect a new router.

What might be a suitable router with the best current or upcoming Home Assistant integration?

In particular the AmpliFi HD Mesh Router looks excellent, but I can’t find out if has or will have HA connectivity? Might a Ubiquiti router like this be the best choice considering the closer relationship?

Failing that the Linksys Smart Routers have a HA component, but that range doesn’t seem to have the “mesh” extendability.

Any suggestions welcome!

What do you mean with HA integration?

Integration between Home Assistant and the router. For example there is a component for Linksys Smart WiFi Routers which provides presence detection. There’s also a component for TP-Link routers which provides this.

Perhaps the best choice is something like the Ubiquiti AmpliFi router, assuming there will be a HA component for this that provides presence detection?

I have a Orbi mesh. No precence but I dont need it. There is other ways that is better

Do you really need “mesh”? If you don’t (which means you will have each ap wired) then you can stick with the UNIFI AC-Lite or AC-PRO. To be true, even if you need “mesh” you can wireless link two AC APs.

I really need it. I have router plus two satellites. One indoor and one outdoor. Backhaul is wired.

I know I can link them wireless, Orbi has a dedicated 5 ghz radio for that

When I researched this the UniFi AP-AC-Pro came out on top of the amplifi.

Keep in mind the unifi stuff is generally router and access point as two separate devices.

I have an ac-lr AP and it has been great. It can max out my 150 mbit connection with good reception and blankets my house with reasonable coverage/speed.

I dont know if I misunderstand you but I have never seen a mesh where the router is not also ap. Then you can add accesspoints. My Orbi has a router that is also main ap. Then also two satelite ap. My house is not that big but no router I have tested could give acceptable cover all over the house. (330sqm). I also have a 10000 sqm p! Ot that I cover with the outdoor ap. For me the most important thinh was full speed everywhere and a dedicated backhaul so the traffic between the ap:s dont affect the bandwidth for the devices

Don’t focus on HA integration, just focus on getting a router that provides good coverage and speed reliably. You don’t want a router that causes wifi disconnect issues or a weak 2.4ghz network. I have an old Netgear R7000 and a T-Mobile (ASUS) AC1900 router, and both have issues running guest network and having over 20 devices connected. I’m currently using a TP-Link Onhub and Google Wifi running as mesh, and though the max wireless speed is low, it has been reliable so far.

Some routers may have HA components, but you will need to look into detail to see what it actually supports. Google Wifi has a component, but it just reports firmware version, uptime, and other unimportant info. If you want a router that HA can use to scan for devices connected to wi-fi, I would look into alternative methods like using the ping sensor. I tried using the Netgear component and didn’t find it useful.

I use two Amplifi HD routers at my friend’s house–they are connected via wired backhaul. I have Smartthings and HA set up there and everything works fine but there are only a dozen devices connected to the network, so it’s not being stressed. The Amplifi HD router has been out for some time…I don’t expect HA to create a component for it, unless there is an API available. You can’t access Amplifi settings via web browser, only by mobile app, unless something has changed in the past 8 months.

So, there’s nothing wrong with Amplifi HD, though it is getting old, it’s not the fastest and doesn’t have many features. Setup and maintenance is easy to use with the app, though Google Wifi excels in this area. It does have 4 LAN ports built-in, which may be important for you. Be aware that if you buy the bundle with the mesh points, the mesh points are hard-coded to work only with that bundled router. So if you plan to resell the points or pair it with another router, it won’t work unless tech support fixes it for you.

I currently recommend Google Wifi, but it’s not for everyone. It is slower (AC1200 for the pucks vs. Amplifi’s AC1750), only has one LAN port per device, and can’t use the guest network the way I want, but it has been stable with 30+ devices on the network, constantly streaming multi-room audio or video. The mobile app is also great, and there are frequent updates to improve security and add features. I’m hoping this is the router where I never have to reboot, or worry that a firmware update will break things.

If you worry about security vulnerabilities of your network devices, you will need to research routers that support VLANs. The Amplifi HD and Google Wifi support guest networks but no VLANs. The other Ubiquiti products should support VLAN, but expect to spend a lot of time managing your network with those devices.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies!

Do you really need “mesh”? If you don’t (which means you will have each ap wired) then you can stick with the UNIFI AC-Lite or AC-PRO.

No not really, it’s a small property but would like the option to extend easily. My leaning towards Ubiquiti over Linksys/TP-Link was the expectation Ubiquiti routers will have better HA integration at some point.

When I researched this the UniFi AP-AC-Pro came out on top of the amplifi.

The UniFi AC-Lite or AC-PRO are Access Points only though right, my Virgin Hub would still be the router? The AmpliFi HD is a full router.

I guess one plus for the Access Points is they have HA support where as I’m not sure the AmpliFi HD does?

Don’t focus on HA integration, just focus on getting a router that provides good coverage and speed reliably.

I was kind of hoping for both! Most modern router replacements I can buy will improve upon my current Virgin Hub setup and provide better coverage, I was hoping to get some extra capabilities out of this upgrade too - namely the ability to track devices in HA using the router. It wouldn’t be my primary presence detection but it would be useful.

Are you suggesting ping/nmap solutions might be better than the presence detection component created for that router?

The Amplifi HD router has been out for some time…I don’t expect HA to create a component for it, unless there is an API available. You can’t access Amplifi settings via web browser, only by mobile app, unless something has changed in the past 8 months.

Interesting, thank you. So although they’re both by Ubiquiti there’s no API for the AmpliFi how strange!

Amplifi has one problem as I understand it if you cant have a wired backhaul, it does not have a dedicated backhaul radio

No, it has wired backhaul. The feature was added several months ago.

It does not have wireless backhaul, unlike the Netgear Orbi.

Yea I have an Orbi setup. For me the outdoor part was very important. I have a wireless pump switch far away that I can reach now

The Netgear Orbi looks like a suitable replacement, does it not have device tracking? The Netgear device tracker page suggests it does.

Edit: Can confirm - Orbi does support device tracking.

On a related note. Is there a “great router” for Homeassistant? I’ve been using a Netgear router for about 5 years which was pretty stable, had to be rebooted about once every 2-4 weeks. Since setting up HA a few weeks ago and adding about 2 dozen devices it needs rebooting daily. It’s getting annoying. Is there a better choice? It also clogs the log with hundreds of errors related to truncated MAC addresses so its time is nigh. What are better options?

I’ve been using an ASUS router with very good results. Today’s equivalent would be a RT-AC1900P.

I have Orbi, pretty much the worst decision I’ve ever made. Too expensive to give up on but has been really unreliable.

Ditched my Netgear router and installed a new system consisting of:

Took some time to get the setup right (running the LinuxServer.io Docker version on an Intel NUC) - but my network has been rock steady since…

Could probably have done (area-wise) with a single of one of the larger of their APs but the advantage of using three Nanos (wired to the switches) is that you get plenty of bandwidth on the wifi and have a lot of radios that devices can connect to…
Absolutely recommendable!

1 Like