Best setup for old iMac

I have my RPi 3b+ running HomeAssistant, I also have a spare iMac and was wanting to put Hassio on it as a trial, iMac has the following configuration:
• 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
• 12GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
• 512GB & 256GB Solid State Drive + 1TB Serial ATA Drive
My query is, what is the best way to install hassio or alternative home assistant setup, existing system is running MacOS and can be trashed.
Thanks.

I know it’s annoying when that guy comes along and asks why you would do such a thing - but here i cannot resist to be that guy.

Why would you want to run only hassio on that machine? It’s the absolute overkill :slight_smile:

But it can be done, there is an Intel image of hassio, you can follow the steps here: My steps to success for Hass.io on Intel NUC

1 Like

Well its been sat on my study floor for three months doing nothing so I thought it would be worth a try. I was also told that the camera issues were related to the RPi being unable to handle the video well and thought this would be a good test.

Docker on mac has some network limitations. I think the best solution would be to install something like virtualbox. There is plenty of info on this forum running HA on MacOS.

The main part of my query was to ask the best option, it doesn’t need to run on Mac OS if I change the OS the box is working on.

I was thinking I could run one of the drives as another OS as an option?

Ubuntu + Docker

I run HA / mosquitto and sqlserver for HA on my mac just from terminal. No virtual env or OS, just install Python 3.6.

The kids and wife use this mac as there everyday computer.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB

Thanks, I will look into that

Thanks, I will look into that, that would be simpler!