Best tablet for lovelace

I have a fire tv HD 7 tablet that I changed to android but still it is not useful because it won’t display any custom Lovelace cards. Therefore I am tired of trying to use it so just want to get a pure android tablet.

My question is does anyone have this tablet and is it good enough?

Vankyo MatrixPad Z4 10 inch Tablet, Android 9.0 Pie, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB Storage, 8MP Rear Camera, Quad-Core Processor, 10.1 inch IPS HD Display, Wi-Fi, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TBM1SVR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_2NFyDb66MR90V

You might try installing LineageOS on your Fire? For me, on Fire HD8, there was a big performance gain.

I would go for at least 12 inches for the display size. I use a Trekstor Surftab Theatre 13.3 inch. It is not the fastest with a 4 core Atom, but well capable of running lovelace and with 200 Euros quite affordable.

How do you do this? I looked on the LineageOS wiki and no amazon devices are mentioned.

Not officially probably. Just check Xdadevelopers.com!

Is it just me or would any Tablet suffice?. I mean if you run HA in a web browser and you would buy a normal"ish" tablet from Aliexpress you would get pretty far.

Or am i completely wrong here?.

You really want the most recent version of android you can, so you get a browser modern enough for HA. It’s to do with webkit (I think that’s the name).

For example, there are lots of tablets on aliexpress with android 4.4. Avoid. But I can’t say what to aim for as I am using hadashboard at present, which is not so demanding.

2 Likes

This does look like a good buy. It is available in the UK at around £80 and appears to be well reviewed (4.5 stars, 62 reviews).
I might take a chance on it.

Also I saw this one at slightly less money and far fewer reviews.

10 Inch 3G Phablet Android 8.1 Octa Core 64GB ROM 4GB RAM Call Phone Tablet PC, Unlocked Dual Sim Card Slots, Bluetooth, GPS, WIFI, Netflix Youtube Resolution 1920 * 1280 display TYD-108-Sliver

Good advice…even with iOS you want to be at least on version12 with the latest browsers but pretty soon advances in HA may/will need 13 methinks.

I myself thought this as well but as others have said and my own experience with fireOS you need to have a modern web view to support all the custom cards if not they won’t display.

I haven’t tried installing any other OS since I changed to android on the fireOS but it’s true android.

I did this back when I was in smartthings and wanted to use action tiles with fully kiosk. But I noticed it was very slow and also fireOS doesn’t permit fully kiosk to have the fill privileges to bypass the lock screen and prevent home button from doing anything. So I kinda want something I don’t have to root or change as doing the rooting or changing something can brick the tablet.

Going to look into the process of doing this. Personally I would prefer not to root or install anything else but it’s not like I’m using this tablet for anything.

Unfortunately that’s a bit too steep for me but let me see if I can find something used.

Thanks!

Hi @Emphyrio: does installing LineageOS resolve the issue with the Fire (FullyKiosk) and custom-lovelace cards ?

Yes it does. No guarantees for the future of course, but if you get a recent Android version it’ll be supported for a good while. Don’t get Android 4.4 or something like that :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link. I did search though and there is only a mention of the Fire 2nd generation. I have the 7th and no indication the process would work for that, highly doubtful. Which version of the Fire is supported and do you have a link ? Thanks !

Did anyone try the matrix pad tablet? Is Lovelace laggy?