Best wall light switches to buy UK - ZigBee | no neutral

Hi,

I will be moving in to my new house at the end of April and want to replace the light switches around the house with smart ones.

I currently run HA on a raspberry pi with a SONOFF ZigBee 3.0 for Zigbee support.

Most of my switches are regular square size, with 1 or 2 switches on them. Electrician has stated that he is pretty sure there are no neutrals in the switches, but has not seen them yet.

There is also one more irregular one in the lounge which is 2 gang but with 3 switches and a dimmer.

Ideally the zigbee switches would be dimmable as well, but not a hard requirement.

I have been looking so far at the Aqara H1 or the Candeo 3 gang dimmable for the lounge.

What would you guys recommend for this situation?

Appreciate any help given in advance!

If you want to keep existing UK aesthetics then dimmer/relay modules are best but will require deep backboxes (min 45mm, anything less is tricky), along side retractive light switches.

I use zigbee sonoff modules to control kitchen fan and light. They have neutral and no neutral versions.

I also have 3x Aqara H1 Double Rockers, work fine via zigbee2mqtt. I’m probably gonna add more of them. Even with one light to control I opt for double rocker because you can decouple buttons, meaning one button controls light directly, the other I can assign to do whatever.

Disadvantage; you are stuck with Aqara aesthetics vs various switch style choices when using modules. Also if something goes wrong you will have to replace entire Aqara unit vs module.

1 Like

I’m in the US but use basically the same thing (Smart Wall Switch No Neutral - Aqara). I’ve replaced all my switches with these and some of the neutral versions. LOVE them. I have pretty much all of them in decoupled mode and acting as buttons.

One more disadvantage to them is that the non-neutral versions are end devices and not routers. In case that matters…

1 Like