Best way to automate year-round holiday lighting?

So I have a few ideas of how to accomplish this in my head, but I thought I’d ask the community to see how others would do it.

I have some permanent outdoor lighting set up, across two wLED controllers, on the front of my house.

How would you accomplish the following? —

1. If its between December 1st and December 31st, then play “christmas scene”
  2. If its between February 8th and February 14th, then play “Valentines scene”

X) If its not any of the above dates, then just turn on dim white landscape lighting

(Obviously, I would only be turning this on at night time)

What method would you use?

I would create an automation triggered on sun down.

Start with an action to activate the dim white as default. And then using actions with if for each period. And run the scene wanted.

You could also create a local calendar with appointments naming the preferred scene, if nothing there use default lighting. That way you can schedule whatever scene you want, whenever you want. Birthdays, etc…

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to figure out the same thing. Not sure how you can use local calendar as a condition for the holiday events. Thoughts?

As said above, I do this with a sunset trigger and an IF check for preset scenes for holidays. There may be a better way, but his works great for me.

alias: Outdoor - Lights at Sunset with Holidays
description: >-
  Outdoor lights on at sunset, holiday scenes activate automatically with
  calendar. 
trigger:
  - platform: sun
    event: sunset
    offset: "-00:15:00"
condition: []
action:
  - service: scene.turn_on
    target:
      entity_id: >
        {% if now().month == 10 and now().day >= 1 and now().day <= 31 %}
        scene.outdoor_lights_halloween   {% elif now().month == 12 and now().day
        >= 1 and now().day <= 30 %} scene.outdoor_lights_christmas  {% elif
        now().month == 7 and now().day == 4 %} scene.outdoor_lights_usa   {%
        else %} scene.outdoor_lights_normal   {% endif %}
mode: single