Best way to turn on/off Nest Thermostat

Hello,

Simple automation that aims to turn off heating if the garden door is opened more than one minute, and turns it on again a minute after it is closed. Nothing crazy.

I appreciate if you can help me with two questions:
1 - This is a Nest Learning Thermostat. I seem to have three options to “turn it off”
There is a Turn Off option, I can set the temperature to something low and I also HVAC mode has an Off option.

Do you have a recommendations for one of these ? I am currently tuning the thermostat off, which works fine, but it sort of goes into a cool off period when I turn it on (i.e. heating doesn’t start although the temperature requires it, screen stays grey and displays a delay countdown, and seems like it says grey after the countdown expires?! What would be the right way to temporarily turn off the heating ?

2 - In this type of scenario, how can I store the previous state of the thermostat ? i.e. if the thermostat is already turned off, I wouldn’t want the automation to turn it on when the door is closed.

Many thanks for any ideas

I’m guessing you probably want to use this rather than shutting it all the way down. The countdown like you’re describing is a normal safety precaution for both heating and cooling modes (don’t want to short-cycle in cooling and want to fully purge the combustion chamber before heating).

I do this, but I simply turn it down, not off. That seems to work quite quickly.