Best Zigbee presence sensor in 2023

I’ve bought some of the door sensors, and they seem to be working well (for open/close). They paired with Conbee II / zha no problem.

They do have a ‘tamper’ alert, which is not supported by Conbee II and/or zha. (The unit is glued to the door frame, but can be slid off to change batteries; in that case, the ‘tamper’ alert is supposed to trigger.)

Due to the two AAA, they are a bit bulkier than other sensors might be, but (as above) I think AAA is my preference due to possibility of recharge.

1 Like

@bartkummel I realise that I’m on a AAA-rechargable promotion spree here :slight_smile: but I’ve just come across this sensor: TUYA WiFi/Zigbee Door & Window Sensors Smart Security Alarms for Alexa Google | eBay, TUYA WiFi/Zigbee Door & Window Sensors Smart Security Alarms for Alexa Google. (You have to pick wifi vs zigbee for purchase.)

The description says: “DC 3V LR03(AAA battery,not included)” so likely it’s a similar setup to the Silvercrest one above.

I’ve had a look at NiMH - just to add that because of the self-discharge rate of NiMH they are prob not suitable for home automation.

Edit: Actually, while standard NiMH do have a high discharge rate (~ 30%/month), there are low-self discharge (LSD) versions, e.g. made by Duracell (called Duralock), Varta (low-self discharge), and Panasonic (called eneloop). These claim to hold charge for 12 months or more, cf. Nickel–metal hydride battery - Wikipedia. I am not entirely sure what this means for low-power applications, but maybe somebody else has some thoughts on this?

2 Likes

You seem to have luck with your SNZB-03…
I tried them too but in the end not reliable.

Now I’m testing a Philips Hue, which works as it should.
Okay, they are a bit more expensive but: it’s a motion/luminance/temperature sensor AND uses 2 AAA batteries which should last 2 years.

1 Like

Hey,
Question title is about presence sensors…and most post are about motion sensors.

In fact i’m looking for a presence sensor…
I have a hue motion detector sensors, and they work fine.(with illuminance and temp and motion detection)…but in my office eg. i have one, and turn on lights if luminance is below set value and motion is detected via automation.
Then i have another automation when no motion detected for let say 1 minute, turn off lights…

And this is fine, when i go into the office to get something out of it when its dark. Lights go on, i pick up what i need, leave and lights get turned off…

But when i’m working at evening…it starts fine when i come in, lights are turned on. I go and sit at my computer…and then lights are turned off, because i don’t move enough…
So i want something to detect my presence in the office, even if i’'m not really moving.

I have a work around, that when i’m working, i turn on my desktop pc. I have setup a ping sensor, so when this pc is on, i don’t turn out the lights when no motion. But this is not without failures…

So anyone a presence sensor in use?

2 Likes

As far as I know most, if not all, claimed ‘presence’ sensors work using simple PIR technology, and the difference lies in the quality of the sensor and/or firmware parameters, but the basic operating principles are the same. Hence, all of the above can be configures as ‘presence’ sensors.

Any half decent PIR sensor that is positioned to monitor arm / hand movement (I have an Ikea Tradfri positioned on the wall 1 foot away from my mouse path) will perfectly be able to act as a ‘presence’ sensor when working behind a computer. Just use a sufficiently long time interval for not detecting motion in your automation (eg, 5 minutes) … If the light still shuts off, either your PIR sensor is very crappy or you’re probably not really working anyway :wink:

There are a few ‘presence’ sensor I know of that don’t use simple PIR, but microwaves (eg, the aqara FP1). However, they consumer a lot of energy and require a permanent power connection.

You could solve that if you use a ping sensor to detect that your computer is running so the light will stay on.

Of course a PIR sensor is not suited for situations where you sit without moving a lot, even more if you have such short timeframe to turn off the lights again.
Therefor I only use motion sensors in those spots where there is enough motion and even in the smallest room where one might sit for a longer time, I have solved that by fading the light out over 10sec so you do not end up in the dark and by moving a little you trigger the automation again to turn on the light.

For a real presence sensor you might have a look at the Aqara’s FP2 presence sensor

So the best presence sensor post shows 1x presence sensor so far, or did I miss one?

2 Likes

I am setting up motion functions room by room. The Aqara P1 does the job but is very limited regarding detection angle and range. In some rooms I need to install more then one device, in a hallway even more. I search: 180 degrees detection angle. 5 meter range and battery powered.

Hi @ajd_ht, welcom to the forum!

motion sensor ≠ presence sensor

1 Like

Hello,
Any new recommendation for 2024 ?

1 Like

I have an Apollo MSR-1 on order. Here’s a random review: Apollo MSR-1 Presence and CO2 Multisensor Review - SmartHomeScene.
Same author was pretty negative about Tuya presence sensors with the exception of the MTG075-ZB-RL, which he said was quite good.
This was an interesting overview of a bunch of mm wave presence sensors: Best mmWave Presence Sensors for Home Assistant! - YouTube

For me, the Aqara P1 keeps disconnecting; I’m adding more and more E1 hubs to solve the disconnections.
I would wait for the P2 version and hope that Thread will be more stable.

Sonoff released their new mmWave presence sensor in October. Have just ordered but seems like the cheapest mmWave solution atm Sonoff Presence Sensor (SNZB-06P) is not what you think - NotEnoughTech

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006174074799.html

this is 24G mmwave presence sensor ,which run on battery.and it has illmuminance sensor.

Hello I have just received 2 of these, they they take 10 minutes to stop detected when placed in a drawer

In the Tuya app they clear within 30 secs

I’m using ZHA with x86 any ideas on how to reduce the rest time when they stop detecting

Thanks

I guess you are responding to the post above you…
If so, this device is a mmwave + PIR sensor.
mmwave goes through solid materials, don’t know the details, so maybe that’s what you experience.

Hello thanks for the reply, could be that although I did place the sensor in the same draw with HA (10mins ish) and then again with the Tuya app (30secs)

I’ll try some more tests and I think I’m going to install Zigbee2MQTT alongside my ZHA network and see if it works any better

Thanks

What do you mean by that?

With ‘going through solid materials’ I meant that even in a drawer, the sensor can detect your presence, PIR does not.
Be aware that you cannot use 1 coordinator with 2 different zigbee integrations.

Do you have many zigbee devices and is your mesh not stable?
By switching to another integration:

• you have to pair every zigbee device again, and depending on your approach, configure everything that is related to those devices, again
  • you might get some extra entities, that’s it

Also, be aware what the difference in wave detection and IR can do.
The thing with these mmwave sensors is: they are fairly new and different companies come with their version, some better then other.
Make sure that you understand it’s functionality right and optionally, search for experiences with the same device.

EDIT: also, if you have not done it yet, have a look at Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference + optimizing using Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get best possible range and coverage

1 Like

Sorry what I meant was

When attached to the Tuya App and I put it in the drawer it resets after 30 secs like it should

When I disconnect from Tuya app and put it straight into HA and in the same drawer it does not reset for 10\20\30 minutes

so it cant be picking up anything when its in the drawer

Thanks