Best zigbee TRV's for replacing Max! / FHEM / CUL868?

Hi!
I’m looking for a wireless TRV (Thermostatic Radiator Valve) with these specs:

• local connection, preferable zigbee (no problems with cloud use, but dont like cloud dependency)
  • continue reading of roomtemperature, valve position, required temperature available
  • good battery use (a year in normal condition would be fine, possibility of using rechargable batteries would be even better)
  • both local (buttons) and remote (zigbee) operation possible (I have a Zibgee network with Conbee 2 stick up and running)
  • preferable M30 connection (than I dont need any adapters)
  • good integration with HA (of course)
  • Possibility to use an external temperature sensor to override the internal one
  • Good price :slight_smile:
  • report of batterylevel
  • not to noisy for sleepingrooms

I’ve read good reviews about the Drayton Wiser, but find it hard to check all of my requirements. Also it is not clear to me if I need the mentioned Drayton/Wiser Heating Hub, even if I have a good working zigbee hub already.
Also. do I need the Drayton room thermostat???
Other brands that have my interest are Tuya, Danfos, or any other that matches my requirements :slight_smile:

I’ve been searching this and other forums for a long time about this topic, but still did not find the answers. With increasing gasprizes I thought to post this question myself.

Any help would be appreciated!

The above is to replace my current heating-by-room system, build on FHEM, connecting 6 Max! wireless TRV’s with an homemade CUL (868Mhz), with MQTT in between Home Assistant and FHEM, and most of the logic is done by NodeRed, interfacing with HA. The living room hass a OpenTherm thermostat, communicating with the Central Heating system. By using an OpenTherm Gateway I can control the heating system and override this thermostat. This works fine with Home Assistant.
Allthough the current system is quite stable, and battery use is ok, the 868Mhz CUL connection is getting problematic as it has a serious limit of messages per hour, which I am hitting to often right now to adjust these automations. Thats why I want to replace these TRV’s with ones with a more stable connection.

Please let me know if you know or have a good working system matching my requirements!

Hello,

I use the Danfos Ally eTRV. Batteries have not been changed since February and they still estimate 66% available battery. They are a bit noisy but i got used to it. If this is a deal breaker perhaps you can look in other brands. I have them paired with Sonoff zigbee bridge (with tasmota) and not once since February have lost connection.

You can have a look on a thread i opened just after buying my first one:

I don’t use external temperature sensor rather i stop them with window sensors and present detection.

Hope this helps
Kind Regards
M

1 Like

I have one of these, I bought as a test. It doesn’t report battery level (at least not through zigbee2mqtt) My wife complained it was noisy (but this was before I created automations to turn them off when the heating is off, so I suspect it was constantly trying to open up for heat that wasn’t coming)

I tried Aqara E1 Smart Radiator Thermostat, but found 2 main disadvantages:

• Local Temperature is repored by steps of 1.0 degrees. Reset as you replace batteries. Measured 18.2, 19.2, 20.2 etc. No values in between.
  • No valve position reported at all.

Possible is that those points are solved one day by OTA of the TRV or upgrading the zigbee2mqtt implementation, but for now especially the first point makes it useless for me for my domotics usage.
For the rest I am impressed by the buildquality and functioning of those TRV’s. They are really quiet and fast, and connection is flawless.

Now looking for other not to expensive alternatives… any tips?

Hi

I almost have the same question and requirements and have tested 2 TRV-s that I dont like that much and also would like to get additional info on what to buy.

MOES ZTRV-BY-100 disadvantages for me:

MOES ZTRV-368-MS

• Only Battery low indicator and that also seems to be buggy (had low level warning for half a year)
  • Little too noisy
  • Older model :upside_down_face:

My setup is using external temperature sensors to calibrate the TRV-s (also floor heating at some point) and currently I’m not using HA (will do in the future) and programming everything by myself.

1 Like

I’ve had the Eurotronic Spirit for a couple of seasons, although Zwave not Zigbee. I think they tick all your boxe otherwise.

1 Like

In the search for a new TRV bought a Popp Zigbee TRV POPP Smart Thermostat (701721) - popp.eu which appears to be a rebranded Danfoss Ally :slight_smile: (but much cheaper)
Until now it looks promising!

Did you find a valve that does everything? Thanks

Hi! Yes, the Popp TRV complies to all of my requirements (at least until now). Please be aware this TRV is unstable with some coordinator chipsets, but after changing to this one this works stable.
Still figuring out how adaption run and its settings functions, but that is a minor thing.
Availability of this TRV seems to be on and off, so waiting for the right time to buy another 4 of them (now having 3 already) to completely replace all of my TRV’s with the Popp’s.

That also looks really similar to the Hive TRV.

I’m caught between getting them and having the option to add them via Zigbee2mqtt or through the Hive - HA integration.

It’s a tough choice and an expensive one if you don’t like what you get!

Hi, which chipsets are those? I have the SkyConnect.

I have had bad results with CONBEE II and also with Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 Dongle Plus-E.

Now running stable with https://sonoff.tech/product/gateway-and-sensors/sonoff-zigbee-3-0-usb-dongle-plus-p

1 Like

Thanks! I guess I’d be the guinea pig for SkyConnect.

1 Like

Hi Gerben, is the Popp TRV natively supported by HA, or do I need a custom quirk to get it to work?

Hi, Popp TRV’s speak zigbee. I use Zigbee2Mqtt to translate to MQTT which HA speaks.
In HA it appears as a device with all readings and settings that can be found on Popp 701721 control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT.
So yes, you need something to translate Zigbee to something HA speaks. I think ZHA is also possible but did not try.
At least you need hardware to transmit Zigbee signals.

Hi thanks Gerben. I’ll try with ZHA and move over to Zigbee2MQTT if it doesn’t work. Yes I have zigbee hardware, it’s the SkyConnect from HA.

:+1:
Please let me know if it works with ZHA!

work it with ZHA?

For the last 4 or 5 months that I have it, the Popp 701721 TRV is working perfectly fine with ZHA. I use it combined with a external temperature sensor and the Better Thermostat integration.

The first paring is a bit finicky, it takes a while, or maybe even a couple of retries. But when that’s done it’s stable as a rock.

I even got my first OTA update for it a few days ago, since the core version of HA went to 2024.3 and the update channel is included.