Better colour picker for LED strip ESPHome device

I am using esphome for a number of bulbs and LED strips and everything is perfect apart from the granularity of the colour picker. 4 the config file I can pick 1 to 100 but with HA the front and doesn’t give me the granularity of the 100, see the attached screenshot…

Any ideas how I can change the front end in home assistant?

Creating your own custom component LED control card is the only way.

1 Like

Ok great thanks but my only question then is if my ESP home devices are auto discovered in home assistant then that work?

My lights are not defined in a yaml file

I don’t understand your initial question. What is missing from the colour picker in that screenshot? That looks like the standard HA one to me… unless I’m missing something?

1 Like

The problem I’m having is that standard interface in HA doesn’t give me the granularity between a 1 to 100 for the colour choice

What version of HA are you running? I am on 0.93.2 and have an extra color pallet picker that gives me extreme granularity. I just have to tap the little paint pallet that’s just below the brightness slider on the left side and it toggles between coarse and fine. There’s nothing special I had to add or change in HA to get that.

1 Like

I think it must depend on what type of light you are using. I’m on 0.93.2 as well and see this for Lifx lights:

1 Like

That makes sense. The features available on the front end are visible based on the capabilities reported by the device connected. Ex. you have a color temperature slider probably because your light reports as an RGBW device. Mine is purely RGB so I only have brightness and color. However, you would still think both the coarse and fine color pallet pickers would be visible if the device reports RGB capabilities.

1 Like

Oh! See the little pallet icon next to the colour wheel (upper left)?

Click on it!

1 Like

So just upgraded to 0.94.0 (I was on 0.88 so the upgrade was fun! Lol).

But I don’t see any difference in the light and I don’t see the pallet icon. See the screenshot below. I wonder if this is as possibly mentioned above the way that ESP home lights are reporting into home assistant.

By the way I checked with Otto to see if this was an esphome issue and looks like it’s a limitation within HA…

"This is a HA limitation - not ESPHome. Please ask the HA developers about it in the feature request section of the community forums.

Quite some versions ago, HA had a different color picker with continuous values, but that was removed for the new color picker. ESPHome does offer the ability to have very fine-grained controls of light colors, it’s just the HA frontend that’s limiting"

I wonder why home assistant does this and whether or not the default behaviour could be changed to give us the full colour spectrum?

I’d get Otto to double check that. The continuous pallet is definitely still there as an option in the new colour picker. @squirtbrnr and I can use it for our lights (Lifx in my case, not sure about sqb’s light type) by clicking on the pallet icon.

1 Like

My light is a RGB light component, v1.13.4, on a NodeMCU ESP32S, and ESPHome API (not MQTT). I switched this particular light from my own MQTT implementation a couple months ago, but can’t remember if I had the fine color picker back then.

1 Like

So if this was manually defined via a yaml config file what changes would we need to make to give us the fine colour picker?

There is no option to configure for this. It’s coded into the component/integration.

1 Like

Which side? HA or esphome?

oh my god clicking this makes it switch i never knew…

thank you !

2 Likes

AH !!!

I just discovered the same. I wonder if this is some kind of bug in HA or a browser issue? my screen actually looks like it does as per my first post in this thread (note I do NOT see a colour pallett thing) but low and behold when i over my mouse over the top left hand side of the colour wheel the pointer turns to a finger, when I then click the colour picker turns to the higher granular version !

Any ideas whats going on ?

What browser are you using? Is it the same on other browsers? I use Chrome on Windows and see the fine/coarse palette button.