Better Smartthings Integration

I have noticed there are quite a few people using Smartthings with Home Assistant and I was just wondering how hard it would be to develop a native integration similar to the Wink Hub.

I know that Smartthings does oauth authentication for integrations. There was a application called “The Home Remote” that I played around with and it would import devices after you authenticated. I wasn’t sure if Home Assistant could integrate much in the same way? This is the groovy application that has to be installed in the IDE (the cloud based configuration for custom applications and device types). There has to be a device type and smart app both for integration.

I know there is currently a way to integrate with this MQTT bridge, but with recent cloud restrictions placed on smartapp execution rates, I think that’s why I’m having issues with communications. That and I can’t get mqtt discovery to work for the life of me!! I think it would open up a gateway to new users if there was native integration similar to that of the wink hub.

The development of this application has truly astonished me. I started watching the development back with 0.7 being jealous then that it didn’t integrate and have watched development take off. I was excited when the bridge came out and started then integrating. Since as Home-Assistant has grown and Smartthings hasn’t, it would be nice to see a core integration. As always, y’all are amazing, and I greatly appreciate all y’alls hard work!!

1 Like