Better Thermostat - unavailable

after the Summer i want to use my 3 Thermostats again.
No Problem last year, this year they are all unavailable.
climate.tze200_hhrtiq0x_ts0601_thermostat - Integration as simple-thermostat. no problem

but if installing the device as a better Thermostat it does not work.
My Steps:

the Result, also i turned Debug on

Tried this several times but won’t work, also no debug entrys, HA updated today

Home Assistant 2023.10.1
Supervisor 2023.10.0
Operating System 10.5
Frontend 20231005.0 - latest
Better Thermostat V1.3.0

5 Likes

I am getting the same, have you figured it out yet?

Same problem for me. Deactivated the better thermostat trvs, reactivated, deleted the plugin and trvs and reinstalled, checked states in developer options… Nothing worked, can’t get it up again, always unavailable. Would be happy to find a solution or if someone could point to one

I’m guessing a recent release of HA may have broken it. According to the github page it was last tested against version 2023.9.2

Ok, weird since I just recently posted here, but in the meantime, I got it working again by myself (after weeks of broken BT).
Had another look at the logs. Looks like the problem was the external weather data. I was using an integration that provided data by dwd (German weather service) and there was no data shown. While deactivating and trying another station my whole system rebooted several times and did not respond. After it was back up again, I deleted the dwd integration and better thermostat, reinstalled BT and used open weather map for a new setup. Now it’s working again. Strange, that an error in external weather data can crash the whole integration.
When I noticed the problem with the weather data, I tried to remove it from the config of BT, but still this error in the log, as if it just remained even if I chose another weather data provider in the config. Best guess for me is that the reason was some problem with the dwd integration.

My instance encounters the same problem while using Better Thermostat with Me168. Reinstalling the integration, re-adding devices to Z2Mqtt & reconfiguration didn’t make an effect. Entity still is unavailable. Also it’s not the matter of external weather provider or window sensor (I added devices to BT with climate sensor as the only one and also did some other experiments there). At the same time BT works correctly with TS0601. Is there anyone who found the solution?

Same issue as above with TS0601 valves…

1 Like

Same issue with Aqara E1.
That being said, used independently, there is no issue. It’s only when used in a group of TRVs that the issue arises.

Same here with TS0601 valves.

My solution:
Enabling debugging option for the BT device showed:

[custom_components.better_thermostat.adapters.mqtt] better_thermostat valve_1: waiting for TRV/climate entity with id ‘number.0xa4c1388b12345_local_temperature_calibration’ to become fully available…

After manually setting the entity to an initial value of 0 everything works as expected.

I’m having the same issue with BT that its shown as “Unavailable” after setup.

How do you enable the debugging option for the BT device and set the initial value to 0?

Hello,
I just had this problem in the living room where I have 3 TRVs. In the other rooms of the house, BT worked normally. For me, the problem was the batteries of one of the TRVs. The battery problem was also notified on the TRV display. After changing the batteries, everything returned to normal.

To enable Debugging there is a button on the integration’s UI. My TRVs are exposed to HA over Zigbee2MQTT. I checked each TRV setting on the Z2M side. After a full device reset or initial binding not all properties have had values set there. Modifying or putting all values there did the trick for me. Alternatively you can modify desired entity values in the developer tools of HA.

I second this!!

I had problems with one (out of 5) valve and this was the problem! The parameter “local_temperature_calibration” was set to ‘null’. Setting it to 0 worked!

Thanks a lot!!!