Binary_sensor/skybell.py

trying to use Skybell binary sensors, but the component is throwing this error. anyone else got this working?

2018-01-19 16:31:19 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/asyncio/tasks.py", line 239, in _step
    result = coro.send(None)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 399, in async_process_entity
    new_entity, self, update_before_add=update_before_add
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 247, in async_add_entity
    yield from entity.async_update_ha_state()
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 218, in async_update_ha_state
    device_attr = self.device_state_attributes
  File "/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/custom_components/binary_sensor/skybell.py", line 85, in device_state_attributes
    attrs['event_date'] = self._event.get('createdAt')
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get'

I am getting the same error. It was working fine before I updated Hass.io. I’m currently on 0.62.1. What version are you on. I know it was working on 0.61, can’t remember if 0.62 was working. It also might not be the Hass.io version. Maybe skybell broke something…

2018-02-02 16:28:00 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Task exception was 
 never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/tasks.py", line 180, in _step
    result = coro.send(None)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 220, in async_update_ha_state
    device_attr = self.device_state_attributes
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/binary_sensor/skybell.py", line 85, in device_state_attributes
    attrs['event_date'] = self._event.get('createdAt')
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get'

Hi, I’m on version 0.62.1 and I’ve just finished installing my new skybell HD.
I have configured it in HA and everything seems to work fine EXCEPT the most important ones to use in HA: the binary.sensors . Not any of them two are appearing: no button and no motion binary sensors. May it be because of the version as you are saying?? I’m going to try to go back to 0.61 and try. Has any of you already tried that??

Hi @jolaca,

I’m on the same version of HA and my button sensor is showing up. I haven’t had a button press in a while, so I can’t confirm that its working, but all of the data is loading so that I can see the Skybell status like wifi connection information and all of that looks good. I don’t have the motion sensor configured.

Try deleting the skybell.pickel file and restarting HA. I’ve had that fix issues with the skybell in the past.

If that doesn’t work, can you share your config? Maybe there is something wrong there. You know that you need to configure the binary_sensors for the skybell separate from the camera component right? You add the skybell component for the login/password info, but then you need to add the other components separately.

Yep, thanks a lot for your answer gremblin. I know this, I’ve configured it as indicated here:

I’m still on 0.62.1 but after restarting now I’m getting this message:

Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
6:47 PM components/binary_sensor/skybell.py (ERROR)
Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
6:47 PM components/binary_sensor/skybell.py (ERROR)

But on the other hand this binary_sensor is now visible:

binary_sensor.skybell_front_door_button
However, still not binary sensor for motion.
Anyway, I’ll try later if this button works in a script.
I’m not getting what file should I delete to try fixing it, I think you didn’t type it right??
Thanks again.

Yeah, I’m getting the same error. Not sure what’s up with that. I should push the doorbell and see if it registers. Last I checked it did… pretty sure it was on 0.62.1

Sorry, I gave you the file name from memory. This is the full name of the file. It should be in your config directory:
skybell_cache.pickle

I am on 0.60.1 from the get go and have not upgraded since installing the skybell.

Ok then, thanks Catman. Then we will have to wait, no sense in downgrading.
I’ve just seen that there’s already an issue open on Github here for this:

Hopefully, devs will pay attention to it as Skybell is reasonably well known and used.

Thanks @Catman. Good to know. Skybell must have broke something then, not HA on the latest release.

I’ve just opened this thread:

Is this Skybell normal behaviour?? I’ve tried to use scripts triggered from the push of the button (to warn via TTS sonos that someone is at the outside-door) and it has taken about 2/3 minutes to start the script!!
I have also tried via IFTTT and the results are more or less the same or maybe worse.
Any clue on how to solve this?? As mine is an outside door, not directly the front door, it doesn’t have a chime so besides having the skybell app notification I would need to listen to a TTS message from my Sonos immediately or at a maximum of 5 to 10 seconds.
Any help appreciated. Thanks!

as a temp measure to just get rid of all the errors, you can drop this file into your custom_components directory.

https://github.com/CCOSTAN/Home-AssistantConfig/blob/master/custom_components/binary_sensor/skybell.py#L85

1 Like

I have 2 skybell hd doorbells.

The Second Skybell - Button Sensor does not load.

Camera, Both motion sensors, and first Skybell button sensor confirmed working.

I do get this error.

Thank you @CCOSTAN. I didn’t see your message till now. I’ll try it later today. BTW, any update about the chance of getting a faster integration with skybell sensors? Thanks again.

I cannot find the ‘custom_components’ directory inside docker. I’ve found a ‘components’ directory but replacing there the skybell.py file only generated lots of errors and a non-working skybell from HA, so I had to reinstall the container. Thanks anyway.