Binary sensor "yes" and "no" device_class for date ranges

There should be a binary_sensor device_class that displays “yes” and “no” as the on/off values. This would be useful with the “workday” and “tod” platforms, where it’s nicer to read “Workday: yes” rather than “Workday: on”.

Don’t forget to vote for your own request.

Upvoted. Would also be useful for template sensors that give advice to the enduser. Like “Should I open a window?” (based on humidity, CO2 sensors, temperature).

I’d love to have this device class along with an Enabled/Disabled sensor class as well

Yes please. I have multiple binary_sensors and every one makes far more sense as yes/no (or true/false) than on/off or any of the other values given. This is super basic and should really be implemented.

Some examples:

An “am I asleep?” sensor: “on/off” makes no sense, “yes/no” makes sense.
An “is water tank low?” sensor: the same.
A “does the living wall need watering?” sensor: the same.

Configuring each sensor twice (once in the GUI, once in configuration.yaml to set a value template) is a pain when there are already numerous options to set for a binary sensor but this one doesn’t exist.

Yes, upvote. At a min provide the ability in the UI to “Show as” Yes/No or True/False for readability in the UI

Upvoted.

My use case is for a binary sensor that concatenates all my contact sensors.

All contact sensors closed: yes

or

All contact sensors closed: true

1 Like

Yes, it’s an old request, but with the new helpers and stuff it’s relevant again.

I have for example a Template binary sensor that shows me whether the sun is within the specified corridor or not. True/False is enough for the logic, so it works, but since there is this thing called ‘Device class’, there should be a ‘Yes/No’ class if you ask me.

Now it shows on/off and there is no class that essentially returns/shows Yes/No or even True/False in the GUI/dashboard.

Yes/No or True/False, both are fine for my use case, but there currently is no option for as far as I know.