Black screen with underscore on generic x86/64

Hello! I’m new to the HA world. I recently purchased a second-hand mini PC called “Zotac GAM” (model ZBOXHD-ND01) with an Athlon processor, 4GB of RAM, and an SSD.

Here’s what I did:

1. I downloaded this image from the Home Assistant GitHub repository: Link.
  2. I used a USB adapter to write this image to the SSD and then placed the SSD back into the Zotac PC.
  3. When I start the Zotac MAG, it shows a black screen with a blinking underscore, and nothing seems to happen.

I initially thought it might be due to the PC’s speed or some background installation process, but even after an hour, it’s still stuck on the blinking underscore.

I couldn’t find any information about this issue, and I assume that the BIOS is set to UEFI since I couldn’t find an option to turn it off, and there’s no secure boot option available. I even tried installing older versions like 7.6 and 8, but I still encounter the same problem.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

Try this guide. You might find it useful.

Thaks! Tried over the weekend 3 times, it stills giving me a underscore flashing, I even left it “loading” overnight but nothign happened, also checked the ssd, the partitions for HA are there but it seems it cant start. Any ideas?

I suggest the following:

1. Install Debian server
  2. Install QEMU
  3. Install HAOS in a KVM

If you can install Debian, then at least you know you can boot the system. If you cannot boot from Debian then it is better to abandon any attempt to install HAOS on this system.

The following guide might assist you.

Good luck.

Are you sure the mini PC has UEFI support? It might be old enough to be BIOS-only. The generic x86_64 image requires UEFI if I remember correctly.

I have a Zotac here. After Halloween (my wife goes overboard) I will flash HAOS to it to test.
In the meanwhile, try flashing Linux to it. My favorite flavor is Ubuntu. This will tell you that the PC is working and you are flashing the SSD correctly.

You do have Ethernet connected?

Debian Is working, even Ubuntu too. Haos not :broken_heart:

Not really any way I can check that? I couldn’t find info on the manufacturer website

Hi! Yes I already tried Ubuntu and it works fine. Slow but fine. Also tested Debian, and it even came with win 10 when I bought it. Have you had the chance to test in your device? I’m really out of ideas on what to try next :confused:

You can try boot - How to check if Ubuntu has booted in UEFI mode? - Ask Ubuntu to check if your ubuntu/debian booted in bios mode or uefi mode.

Did you follow the official guide?

OK, as I thought, the Zotac that I have here is so old that it does not have UEFI BIOS which Home Assistant requires.

Probably because the BIOS is so old that there is no EUFI.

1 Like