Blew up shelly plug S

Hello,
I think I blew up my shelly plus S, and I was wondering if this is normal.
I had my shelly plug S flashed with tasmota connected to a close in boiler, and this boiler made short circuit and blew out the fuse.
no issue.
but also my shelly plug S isn’t working anymore, it smells real bad(like a melted fuse) and it makes this weird noise now when I plug it in.

So that’s not good,
But I was wondering if this shouldn’t be prevented by some hardware protection? I can imagine software protection not working, but I would think some hardware protection would be most welcome for a device like this.

Normally a wall plug from any brand or manufacture shouldn’t create a short circuit - so it’s not normal :bulb:

When your electronics release the magic smoke you should rather not plug it into the AC’s without doing a proper inspection (or have someone doing it for you) and declare it fit for use again. :man_scientist:

Well, heavily depends of the fault - last resort is normally the circuit breaker (which actually are there to protect the wiring in your house and not necessarily the things you plug in :raised_hands:).

Again, depends on whatever happens some things are to “slow” to protect in software :snail:

For/against what? What did you do? Was the unit faulty? Did you do something wrong? What protection do YOU need? :man_shrugging:

Might want to open the device (obviously unplugged from AC :warning:) and shoot some photos :camera_flash: Depending of the fault it might be easy to spot for some eyes :eyes:

Was your shelly plus S plug new? :package:

I didn’t do much actually,
the water boiler short circuit, the “circuit breaker” 16A(3600W) in the house kicked in.
and my shelly which only can handle 2500W and was monitoring the water boiler broke down.
I’m planning to open up the shelly device later when I have some time.

I think I need a new device anyway, but I was just wondering if I need a new shelly everytime a device just uses to much power.

When it was a typical household breaker it will not trip at 16A but rather somewhere north of 50A :zap: :warning:

Type Instantaneous tripping current
B 3-5 times rated current In For example a 10 A device will trip at 30–50 A
C 5 to 10 times In
D 10-20 times In

A short circuit is always to much :joy:

General speaking the right device for the right task (for example a 2500W plug for a 3500W load isn’t right) and maybe a extra fast tripping fuse to protect your device(s) (boiler sounds like a restive load so that should work a treat without false tripping a fast fuse :muscle:)

I promised some picktures, Broke the pcb while pulling it out, but nothing visible actually.

my boiler usually uses 2100W max so 2500W would be enough if it wasn’t broke.

I need to replace my boiler, but as that almost means rebuilding half my kitchen I postponed it for as long as possible, someone made a poor choice designing the boiler to be placed like this.

The reason I added this Shelly was to detect if the circuit breaker was applied(state → unavailable). the next

but thank you for the response, I would have never guest this would break the device.

1 Like