Blue Connect pool measurements

Reading up on the conversation, i had my notification wrongly configured and missed out on the conversation. Good work!
Where are you now with the values? Is your yaml conversion more inline with the app?

-Peter

I disabled bluetooth proxy now. Handy App is also closed. So for both, esp device and blueconnect there is no other connection active.
Any further idea?
Regards
Lukas

One more idea came up. I have 3 more esp devices in my home, they all are configured to use bluetooth_proxy and have a not mac limited on_ble_advertise function active (but no ble_client configured). Could they be the problem, even they dont explicitly connect to the device, probably the HA is doing somthing or so…
The blueriiot app can always connect to the blueconnect, so something there is better implemented.
Probably it is a timing thing which needs to be adjusted?

Yeah, That could be the case. The app needs to be close to the sensor and that could be the way to mask the other Bluetooth traffic or over shout it and connect.

worth a try to turn off the other proxy’s and see if it then works?

Hi,
Shutted down all other esp devices. Also no connection possible with the remaining one.
Lukas

Hi When there are no other BLE devices nearby it should except the connect. What esp device do you use?

and when you do this: ESP32 Bluetooth Low Energy Device — ESPHome do you see any devices being found?

The mac of the sensor needs to be the same as this one:

ble_client:
  - mac_address: ${blueriiot_mac}

Peter

Hi @lweberru. I was reading back and found your posted config, wondering if you might need to tweek the scanning parameters a bit more.

Yours

esp32_ble_tracker:
  scan_parameters:
    interval: 300ms
    window: 50ms
    active: true

vs Oxident (that are also working for Nick (nheinemans))

My board works perfectly without those, I have a wt32-eth01 (using the wrover-kit board in esphome). Where I now see that different boards require different parameters to work

-Peter

I added this presence sensor and changed active scanning to passive, also using your timings. I am having a atom lite esp device. As sometimes, the connect worked once after compile/boot and then never again (after 2h I schedule a connection by activating the ble_client). Also the presence sensor stays off. There should be something like a force connect or so, probably the app is doing something like that. Or it is really related to the esp device. Could it be related to the battery level? The value I get from my seldom connects is „26“. Not sure if this meens 26%.
Regards
Lukas

I didnt do a BT scan to see what is actually sent out (I don’t have a BT scanning device). I did some tests to get this working and there is a discussion in the thread on that around the June timeframe.

About the battery level…
to me that is still a guess, I never pulled out the battery to measure its voltage. If its a LiPo then it should be between 3.6 - 4.1 (0-100%) as anything below 3.6 would damage the battery. If the calculation to percent by thereadldb

float bat = (float)( (int16_t) x[11]) / 36 * 100;

then returns 26 it could be 26% where there is enough juice to operate the device. Most of these boards have a working voltage of 3.3V (stabilized with a voltage regulator taking anything above 3.5V ( I use a 7333 voltage regulator that has a drop of 170mV to generate the 3.3 output voltage)

the float bat = (float)( (int16_t) x[11]) originates from earlier guesses that this data, in some way, actually relates to the voltage. To be sure the battery needs to be taken out and measured (at start of the season and then at the end (or some interval that actually drains it a bit as the expected lifetime is around 2 years)

when the battery is low, i would expect a steady connect. Do you have a esp32 arduino based board that you can try?

According to the spec sheet, the battery is 3.6 V. Mine has a month or so and it’s reporting 86%. Given that the device turns on when moved before pairing, I guess the estimated value is legit.

I tried to compile with arduino spec, but the result is not better.

My guess would be that it has something to do with the esp32 chip. the Atom M5 uses the esp32-pico chip and my board uses a esp-32-s1 chip. Think you need to play with the esp32_ble_tracker settings to see what works best.

what I found during my initial setup, that resulted in the first version of the yaml file is summarized here:

When only using the ble settings for this senor there should be enough power left to use verbose debugging and follow the scan results and see if there is an error reported.

otherwise, the only way I see is try to use different esp32 hardware (not the esp32-pico chip) and see if that works or build a BT scanner and capture the traffic to see what is going on in the air

Hi,

I have also 3 nodemcu-32s boards. Worth a try? I am not that familar with esp32, do you have a good link for a good board for my usecase?
Regards

Yes, it only needs the config from ESPHome with
board: nodemcu-32s

If that works, you have to put it in a case with some power.

When this board works, and the Atom only does BT, this could be the replacement board.
Otherwise, you might need to hook up the io-pins to the attachments

-Peter

is not battery.
seems temperature of blueconnect.
in the graph:
blu is the raw data ==> your battery level
green is the water temperature
yellow is the external temperature from another sensors

Interesting.
it was actually assumed here Blue Connect pool measurements - #200 by JosePortillo that it could be battery. ‘We’ where never sure as the data was added with the 2.3.0 software version.

i changed back to the raw data and will follow the value in this regard. My unit is now in its 2th season which would be at the expected battery life. when the value stays consistent, like in your graph we can rule out battery

Good news :slight_smile:
It is working now. I updated to the newest esphome version 2023.8.2 and also to a nodemcu-32s board. Now its really working fine. Thanks for all who assisted me!
I am now unsure about the data quality itself. The blue connect is not yet inside the pool, its still „new“. For the ph-value I get from the espdevice a value of 4.4, if I re-calculate it including the temperature I get 7.02 which looks more to be the correct value. The „bat“ value is probably really something else, I get something between 25 and 27, the current outdoor temp is 19.29 the water temp is 23.5 and the room temp where the blueconnect is right now is 20.5. So I really have no clue about the interpretation of this value.

3 Likes

Hi folks,
thanks for the fantastic work.

But i have some problems finding my the ble macadress of the blue connect go,
any tips?

Use the link in this post. Instructions are on the ESP-Home website

Thanks Peter,
I firste used a esp32 BLE scanner to find the blue connect go mac adress,
now it works fine.

(i am captured in an apple environment, so it was harder to get the mac adress)

Really nice work, that makes the blue connect go a much more useable device :slight_smile:

1 Like