Bluetooth proxy via ESPHome not working

I am running home assistant inside a VM, thus I am unable to directly connect a Bluetooth dongle via USB. Therefore, I wanted to utilize the Bluetooth proxy functionality of ESPHome to be able to control Bluetooth devices. I have tried to use the ESPHome Bluetooth proxy installer (ESPHome Bluetooth Proxy) and tried creating a config manually and have used to different ESP32 boards and they all showed up in home assistance, yet when I try to install the Bluetooth integration, I still get “No unconfigured Bluetooth adapters found”.

As I read it, this should work, right? Am I missing something?

Did you get any response relative to this issue, I’ve encountered the seem issue after upgrading to 2023.2.5 ? All BLE sensors are not responding.

Solution: The problem in my case was the the USB drivers became inactive. A server restart did the trick.

I’m running into the same issue trying to use this for the first time. 2023.3.2.

I’ve having the same problem.

Just added an EspHome Bluetooth proxy, using both the prebuilt project above and manually configuring via EspHome dashboard.

ESPHome integration device appearing in HA

HA Bluetooth integration says:
No unconfigured Bluetooth adapters found. There are 0 ignored adapters.

I use the ESPhome bluetooth proxies with a dongle / bluetooth integration and they pick up BLE devices just fine. What are you trying to accomplish here, what sensors or devices are you trying to connect?

Has anyone possibly already found an answer? Am unfortunately running into the same ( mentioned above) problem.

What is your specific issue? Seems to mainly be a lot of “it’s not working” posts but no specifics. Is there a BT device with a HA integration that your BT Proxy isn’t picking up?

Re-reading other posts, it seems a lot of people think that having a BT Proxy will result in a BT device device/adapter showing up in HA. It won’t, only the devices it picks up will show up.

I’m having the exact same issue.
I used to have a compatible Broadcom USB dongle, but since an update in mid 2023 it stopped working with some pybluez error on the logs. Since there’s no solution for my type of HA instance (Virtual Machine on Proxmox) I’m trying an esp32 with bluetooth-proxy. ESPhome addopted it correctly but I can’t see any bluetooth devices added, and when adding the integration “Bluetooth” it says:

No unconfigured Bluetooth adapters found. There are 0 ignored adapters.

Anyone here figured out how to make it work?

The proxy just works automatically, you do not have to add the bluetooth integration.