Bluetooth Proxy without physical Bluetooth Hardware on HA?

Hi,

I’m excited to try out the new Bluetooth proxy feature in conjunction with ESPHome, as my Home Assistant is running in Docker on a NAS and I have not yet managed to get Bluetooth working. Is it possible to use this without Home Assistant having access to actual Bluetooth receiver hardware? I of course cannot add the Bluetooth integration since Home Assistant cannot find a usable Bluetooth device, but I imagine all the Bluetooth Tx/Rx would be handled by the ESPHome device. Did anyone succeed in configuring this?

Should work as balloob mentioned here

Thanks for that link! However, I’m having the same problem as user “lits” commenting on your link, in that I cannot add any bluetooth integrations even though there is an esphome bluetooth proxy in my network.

1 Like

Did you managed to get this working?

I also have a HA setup in Docker without a Bluetooth dongle. I setup the Bluetooth Proxy from the website (ESPHome Bluetooth Proxy). Everything looks fine. The ESP is setup and available in HA, but no Bluetooth Devices are discovered.

I also canot setup the Bluetooth Integration because there is no Bluetoith hardware found.
Is the Bluetooth integration nessecary for the Bluetooth Proxy to work?

Adding “bluetooth:” to the configuration.yaml also does not seems to do anything.

1 Like

Bluetooth does not have to be enabled when using Bluetooth Proxy devices.

1 Like

I’m also trying this out, I have a docker container running HA with no BT hardware but have a Bluetooth proxy ESP32. Is there an easy way I can use my phone or something to test it’s working before I buy a BT device to connect to HA. The eventual use case is a switchbot.

Hi endye2801,

As far I understand you do not need the Bluetooth integration in HA when using Bluetooth Proxy devices (ESP32).

I just created a post showing there are no bluetooth devices found on my bluetooth proxy.
(link)

Maybe you are experiencing have the same issue?
When you enable Debug logging in ESPHome, are there bluetooth devices found when watching the log? (link)

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for those links!

Using the first I am able to see loads of BT devices discovered, including my HP Printer (only one I saw a name for on first glance)

There is a lot of the following in the log now though:

[14:40:14][V][component:199]: Component esp32_ble_tracker took a long time for an operation (0.10 s).
[14:40:14][V][component:200]: Components should block for at most 20-30ms.

So now how do I find out what all these devices are?!

Any more progress with this?

I’m having a similar issue, but with the newly released possibility to use Shelly gen 2 devices as BT proxies.
My Shelly is running a BT proxy, but HA does not find any BT devices automatically.

However: when adding (again the newly added) integration for Ruuvitags, it finds my Ruuvi tag, which means that the Shelly proxy is working as it should (since I don’t have any other bluetooth capabiliities in HA which I run in Docker on my Synology NAS).

Apart from that one BT device (Ruuvi tag), the proxy is not able to find anything else, even though there are BT devices close by that work perfectly in their own app, such as Inkbird (which I used to test this).

Can I know how did you manage to turn on the shelly proxy? I have gen2 device updated on v12 but home assitant shelly page directs me to turn it on in “options” menu but I don’t see anything like that.
I still have no idea how exactly bluetooth proxy works.

Does your Shelly device have Bluetooth? Is it enabled?
If HA can see the Bluetooth functionality then you will have a Configure option where you can enable scanning. No configure option then HA cannot see the BT on the device.