Bluetooth!

Is it actually possible to get bluetooth work in HomeAss??? In windows???

Yes, what do you want to achieve?

You could make a Bluetooth proxy with an ESP32 and ESPHome. I think this is better than a dongle.

1 Like

I detect a bit of frustration in that post.

What are you trying to achieve and what have you done so far. We also need to know your setup.

How are you installed (esp on windows there’s a number of issues you could hit depending on how you’re setup). And +1000 on Esp32 proxies.

I am trying to add bluetooth devices to Home Assistant but BT does not work.

I have no idea what this is. Bluetooth integration ot dongles should be enough.

Hi @Wtffr

It would really help us to help you if you can answer @NathanCu 's questions.

You are probably running a HA in some kind of VM.
This means you need to port the Bluetooth to the VM and that also means it can then not be used in Windows.
This is done in your hypervisor software and have nothing to do with HA as such.
HA will be able to se and use Bluetooth once it is ported.

1 Like

If HA would detect BT that would be great. At least some detection works…

I have tried to configure virtual box. The only thing what can be configured but HA does not find BT devices nor adapters.

I don’t think that is true, especially since the ESP proxy connects over lan and does not actually reauire bluetooth on the host.

User does not mention anything about proxy, so he is most likely trying to use the windows BT device he has, which is also indicated by the mentioning of Windows in the post.

1 Like

Have you created an ESP bluetooth proxy yet, and were you able to add it to HomeAssistant?

The other question, what kind of device are you trying to detect using the bluetooth proxy?

Edit: sorry, I thought you were trying to add a proxy, I now see that was just a user suggestion. Good suggestion though if the VM on windows is not able to pass bluetooth on.

Wally is on track here.

HOW DID YOU install HA. I cannot answer any further until I know.

It absolutely is a - once the com port is pushed to the VM Windows sees it but cant use it - it’s locked in use. (me=25 yr windows sysadmin)

This is what I try to do but it won’t work. HA has given this option but it seems that BT cannot work in HA. There’s only so much what ypu can do in VirtualBox.

And that’s why we all recommend bluetooth proxies instead. EVEN on a dedicated pi with HAOS - it’s cleaner and easier to setup an esp32 bt proxy.

Then you need to change to another hypervisor.
HA can not work if the hypervisor does not.
If the hypervisor does not port the device then it is like it is not connected at all to HA or any other operating system running in the VM

1 Like

Then why HA has provided install media to virualbox if it does not work?

HA works, within the limitations of what virtualbox can provide. Don’t blame HA, and don’t blame the people here trying to help despite your unpleasant tone. We’re just users, just like you.

1 Like

Because there’s plenty of users out there who may want to use HA on VB on Windows but don’t need access to the local ports.

Look, I’m a Windows guy - I am 25+ years into Microsoft’s ecosystem as a sysadmin and support engineer, and even spent a portion of that time working there. But I run HA on a Pi. You can make it work just fine - but you need to understand the ideosyncracies of how virtualization works in windows before you do - because no matter what happens, HA can only do what its underlying OS lets it do and in virtualization that’s capped by what the hypervisor allows… And I dont know a single one that default ON allows access to the local ports (its a security thing)

1 Like

I have no idea what BT proxies are

1 Like